Can I Legally Tow This Trailer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I Legally Tow This Trailer?

Trailer is a 32' gooseneck enclosed trailer. Two 7,000# axles with a GVWR of 14,000#. Trailer weighs about 6,000# empty.

Tow vehicle in Sig. About 7,800# empty with me in it (who really has an "empty" truck?). GVWR is 9,900, and GCWR for truck and trailer is 20,000#. Maximum loaded trailer weight with a fifth wheel from manufacturer is 13,000#.

Truck 8K + Empty Trailer 6K = 14K + 6K Load in Trailer = 20K = OK.

Question is:

Is it legal to tow a 14K GVWR trailer loaded only to 13K pounds with a vehicle that has a 13K max loaded trailer weight rating?

I have searched past threads, am still not sure, so please help me understand and clear this up. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
they dont care how much the trailer can hold only the GVWR is less then or = what your truck is rated for.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 PM

You're gonna have to actually weigh everything as opposed to guessing to get a real number.
But basically, each axle has a GAWR. The final loaded weight of the rig as to be below every GWR for each component. Each axle has to be below it's GAWR. The truck's total weight has to be below it's GVWR. The trailer has to be below it's GVWR
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As faras I know, if the truck and trailer combined weight is under 26.000 pounds you do not have to have a cdl to pull it. That's all the cops will care about.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Well your GCWR (9900+14000) is less than 26001 lbs so you don't need a CDL. Also your hitch is rated for 13K lbs as long as your trailer real weight is less than that, your good. BUT to make things more confusing the GCWR for your truck is 20K lbs and your setup is over that (9900+14000=23990) IMHO I wouldn't worry about it. Don't overload anything, truck, trailer, hitch or any axles, and you should be good. Best way to check is call the local DOT and ask.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
Well your GCWR (9900+14000) is less than 26001 lbs so you don't need a CDL.
But, the trailer is over 10k so you will need a non commercial class A license.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 AM

Thanks for all the info so far.

@44Magnum-you are correct about the CDL.

@JSchuricht-according to the NJ Commercial Driver License Manual (see below), and the director of the DMV Licensing center, I do not need a CDL class A or B. I do not meet any of the following criteria:

Class A
1. Tractor Trailer
2. Truck and trailer with a GCWR of 26,001 or more, provided the GCWR of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000.

Class B
1. Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more
2. A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 or less
3. A bus with a GVWR of 26,001 or more

Class C
1. Any vehicle with GVWR 26,001 or less, hazardous material
2. Bus, GVWR less than 26,001

I do not know what a non commercial Class A licence is, so I will have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

I am still working on whether GCWR of tow vehicle is absolute (GVWR tow vehicle + GVWR trailer) or if it is a maximum rating that the actual combined laden weight must be under.
This would make a big difference when I order the trailer, as to what I ask the manufacturer to rate the trailer at. The same 14K trailer would be only rated at 10K.

If you own an F-250 with a GVWR of 8,800 this would mean that your trailer GVWR could be no more than 11,200.
If you own an F-350 with a GVWR of 9,900 this would mean that your trailer GVWR could be no more than 10,100.

This is all very confusing and a search has not really led to any conclusive info either, at least for me. Many posts on this subject have been started and I think that this should be nailed down once and for all and made into a sticky at the top of the forum so I (we) don't keep asking the same question and waste everyones time.

Now it's off to the DMV for some more hair pulling.

Last edited by DocB; 02-13-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Trailer is a 32' gooseneck enclosed trailer. Two 7,000# axles with a GVWR of 14,000#. Trailer weighs about 6,000# empty.

Tow vehicle in Sig. About 7,800# empty with me in it (who really has an "empty" truck?). GVWR is 9,900, and GCWR for truck and trailer is 20,000#. Maximum loaded trailer weight with a fifth wheel from manufacturer is 13,000#.

Truck 8K + Empty Trailer 6K = 14K + 6K Load in Trailer = 20K = OK.

Question is:

Is it legal to tow a 14K GVWR trailer loaded only to 13K pounds with a vehicle that has a 13K max loaded trailer weight rating?

I have searched past threads, am still not sure, so please help me understand and clear this up. Thanks in advance.
Depends where you drive it. On another forum it was brought out that in some states, Va for one, the LEO takes the GVWR of the TRAILER as what you are towing, not what it weighs when they stop you.

Example - my trailer has a 12K rating, my 7.3 '88 van had a rating of 8,800 (as best as I could determine). So I couldn't tow my trailer LEGALLY. Even if the trailer was EMPTY - BARE. That's why I HAD to buy a 2002-2003 7.3L And my wife believes me

So your math could be:
GVWR Truck 9.8K + GVWR Trailer 14K = 23.8K = still OK for CDL, but the 14K exceeds your mfg tow capacity.
And if they think your trailer was derated they might even take numbers off the axle.

And in the past I've read of other states doing that.

Face it, we've got a big truck (F350) and some states think that means weve got big money.

/edit - And where did you find the GCWR for truck and trailer is 20,000?
/edit2 - I found it http://www.fordf150.net/specs/02fsuper.htm, darn, time to get a smaller trailer.

Last edited by gemniii; 02-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

yeah in maryland, they are basically concerned with the gvwr of the trailer being over 10k. and then they want to know if you are going to be compensated for anything dealing with the reasons why your pulling the trailer. That way they can tell if you need a cdl
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my gcwr is in the owners manual, gotta get to reading that thing lol, lots of useful info, my 97 has a gcwr of 20k as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.