Dissapointed Towing 14k w/ 08 F350 CCLB SRW - Problem or Not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dissapointed Towing 14k w/ 08 F350 CCLB SRW - Problem or Not

Last year I bought a new 5th wheel trailer that weighs in at about 13,500 - 14,000 loaded. I towed it to my camp ground at the time with a buddies dodge as my truck was being used by a friend to tow his race car. Having a new born we didn't move the trailer all year long until the season was over here in Ohio. I have had the opportunity to tow it a half a dozen times in the last couple of months and I have to say I have been really disappointed with the truck towing this weight. Here is how I would describe the towing experience:

Getting up to Speed on the highway i feel like i have to floor it to get it moving and gain any real speed.

Going down the road with out incline the truck tows great, about 2k with 10 - 15 lb's of boost.

Going up any sort of significant incline again the truck seems to be working extremely hard, sometimes 35lb's of boost and 2750 - 3000 rpm

I love my truck and it has always gotten my trailers where they need to go but I don't understand why i'm having these problems.

If this is normal let me know, i just expected that it would take the weight and keep on moving with a 16500 fifth wheel rating.

I do have 3.73 rear end if that is a question and no tuner.

I live in an emissions control area so i don't really want to dump the DPF and get a tuner. IF I did bite the bullet and do that would I have these worries?

HELP!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM

This sounds about like mine before I did the dpf delete, and even still a little. I have owned all three diesels, here's my take on it.... The Powerstroke and the Duramax both pull at higher RPMs than the Cummins, so it gives the "illusion" it's working harder. Remember, both of these are V8's, and typically have to have more rpm's to get the power. The Inline 6, like the Cummins, gets it's power at much lower RPM's and less at the higher side.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM

do you feel like you have some passing power with a programmer?

Does the H&S have any tow modes like the Spartan does where it locks up the converter earlier?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What gears do you have.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM

3.73 gears
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Yes, I have plenty of passing power. But like I said, I tow on "no power" setting. Most seem to disagree with me on this, but I feel that it is safer for the entire truck (that's the truck driver in me I guess, lol). If I can't pull it on this setting, I need a bigger truck, lol. But even on this setting, with the dpf/cat gone, I noticed a tremendous difference in the way it pulls. BTW, I also have 3.73's.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 AM

The 3:73s are killing you. 4:10s would work much better. I have 4:10s in my dually and ideally it should have 4:30s.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM

I have the same truck as you and also 3.73 gears. My truck pulls like a dream. It doesnt need much throttle to pick up speed and has plenty of passing power. I do have a programmer and exhaust tho. I dont know stock because it didnt stay stock for long . I had a 6.7 cummins before this truck and this truck pulls just as well. I also pull on the no power setting on the minimaxx
Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM

No that seems about right, I also have a tuner and unlike others I still have my dpf on it, I also run in the no-power setting. I have 373's as well. They just rev up more than a cummins. What did you tow your trailer with before?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2008 F-250 4X4, 3.73 gears, automatic, stock except for programmer. I pull a 34' fifth wheel at about 14,000#, at altitudes from sea level to 12,000'. Normally pull in "Performance/tow" mode, and watch turbo guage on long or steep inclines. Plan to install an EGT guage and clean up exhaust system. Have been satisfied with pulling capacity of truck, and love the features of the automatic in tow/haul mode. Performance is better at high altitude. Explain that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.