Towing a deuce and a half - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Towing a deuce and a half

Been thinking about buying a bobbed deuce and a half for a mud truck but i want to be able to pull it on a flatbed gooseneck with my 250 to be able to go out of town. is this possible?

I know the curb weight of the truck is between 12k and 14k so what gvwr trailer would i need?

I would assume this is right at or above the gcwr but i could not find an exact number for my truck in sig with a 9800gvwr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The problem is going to be the trailer weight. At 12-14k that leaves 2-3k for the trailer and all the other goodies which will be hard to stay under considering the trailer will weigh a lot by itself. You may be able to make it work but it's going to be close.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Remember if your truck and trailer gvwr's combined go over 26K your gonna need a cdl. So unless you can find a light trailer with a 16K# gvwr its not looking good..... Get an exact weight on the 2.5 and go from there, or take your chances.
For what its worth, In my expirence the DOT dosnt worry if your towing a trailer thats rated higher than your truck should be pulling, they are worried if your weight ratings combined are over 26K or if your actual weight is over what your truck and trailer is rated for.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

You'll probably be over weight, technically, no matter how you do it. Can it pull it? Oh yea. Safely, depending on the trailer brakes, your hitch, the trailer's maintenance. Yes.
Do you need a CDL, depends on your states and the US DOT's convoluted and laws. Probably. Will anyone check you? Doubt it.
You say the curb weight of truck is 12-14k??? You do realize curb weight is the actual weight of the vehicle? Not a rating. Unless you're talking curb of the deuce.
So the truck is rated for a max of 9800lbs.
The duece 1/2 says it weighs around 13k lbs, so the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (what the vehicle is rated to carry) needs to be AT LEAST 13k or so.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Having had deuce and a half they are surprisingly not really all that heavy and if his will be bobbed he will effectively loose a ton of weigh as most of a deuce's weight is tied up in axles, tires and wheels.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my 97 ccsb gcwr is rated at 20k, my trucks gvwr is 8800, check your owners manual for your gcwr, the truck should actually be able to hold and pull the weight, but your gonna want to check the numbers before you go and overload, good luck
Old 01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Ya make sure the weights are legal before you try.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM

ok cool thanks guys! i already have a class a, so i guess just finding a trailer that can handle it will be the most important thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.