How to: Stuck B&W ball - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to: Stuck B&W ball

when I got my truck it had a B&W gooseneck installed. I was able to get the pin out of the ball but the ball was stuck upside down. I let it sit with PB blaster on it for a few weeks and tried using a rubber mallet from the underside to get it out. Then I switched to some padding on the ball and a sledge hammer. Nothing was working. Finally I got sick of the ball being stuck and decided that it was coming out. I go to school at a motorsports shop and pulled my truck in for some work. First I fabricated a bracket on the cnc plasma cutter that I could weld to the bottom side of the ball. I used a 220 Miller MIG and put some nice beads down on the bracket to hold it to the ball. The tailgate was removed and an engine hoist was hooked to the ball. We jacked until the rear wheels were about to come off the ground. NOTHING! The ball didn't even budge. One of my buddies beat on the housing around the ball while another beat the ball side to side from the top. Finally it popped out. Here is a pic. Anyways if you all have a stuck gooseneck ball this is how I got mine out. I used a 90 degree wheel with pads on it to clean up the ball. It now sits in my truck box until I need to use it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250SixOH View Post
when I got my truck it had a B&W gooseneck installed. I was able to get the pin out of the ball but the ball was stuck upside down. I let it sit with PB blaster on it for a few weeks and tried using a rubber mallet from the underside to get it out. Then I switched to some padding on the ball and a sledge hammer. Nothing was working. Finally I got sick of the ball being stuck and decided that it was coming out. I go to school at a motorsports shop and pulled my truck in for some work. First I fabricated a bracket on the cnc plasma cutter that I could weld to the bottom side of the ball. I used a 220 Miller MIG and put some nice beads down on the bracket to hold it to the ball. The tailgate was removed and an engine hoist was hooked to the ball. We jacked until the rear wheels were about to come off the ground. NOTHING! The ball didn't even budge. One of my buddies beat on the housing around the ball while another beat the ball side to side from the top. Finally it popped out. Here is a pic. Anyways if you all have a stuck gooseneck ball this is how I got mine out. I used a 90 degree wheel with pads on it to clean up the ball. It now sits in my truck box until I need to use it.

Grease is your friend.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Grease is your friend.
I wish someone would have told the PO that!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I went through the same thing with mine. I also had to on my receiver on the back of the truck. Both were rusted solid. Now I can't fit the 2 1/2" to 2" reducer in my hitch.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am bumping this up for a much easier solution. I read tons of threads and various posts about how to get the stuck B&W ball out of the receiver. I used PB Blaster, I used hammers, I used WD-40, and the list goes on and on. This is the most simple way to do it...

Go to Wal-Mart and buy Bernzomatic hand torch with propane tank for $15. Get under the truck and heat up the receiver 360 degrees around the ball. Don't need to get too crazy, just heat it up for 30 seconds or so. Use your hammer from underneath the truck to hammer the ball up. I had my wife stand in the bed of my truck and after about 10 good hits, she was able to just pull it out. Took less than 5 minutes to do something I had been trying months to do. I cleaned up the rust on the receiver with a dremel tool and dropped ball off at a sandblaster near my office and have now put it back in the truck with a bunch of graphite grease. I do not expect to have this issue ever again!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 AM

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I would have told you about the torch. Same thing when calipers are seized on, or anything really is stuck like that. Heat it then beat on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.