94 DI DRW 2wd pulling 13k up a rocky, rutted, dirt hill - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 DI DRW 2wd pulling 13k up a rocky, rutted, dirt hill

So I have a 5th wheel that when i parked it, the road was fine, the road coming into the property is now pretty rutted and there is a 90 degree turn right before a steep grade with a diagonal runoff rut going down the road. This is the part of getting out of here that im worried about. The hill is about 75yds long and im guessing at the grade, but im going to say 8-10%

I bought this truck a couple months ago with its sole intended purpose to haul this 5th wheel. A 94 Direct injection turbo diesel powerstroke Dually with 4.10 factory LSD, 2wd, 5sp MT. I just put on 4 new 235/85-16 Yokohama Geolander A/TS on the rear axle. I have the 6637 intake, and Thursday im going to have a 3"dp to 4" full "off road" exhaust, an oil change and an exhaust manifold leak fixed as well as my fifth wheel hitch installed, so i hope to be able to do this by the weekend or next week.

The Trailer is a 40' double axle 5th wheel, last time it weighed about 14k loaded up and full, but it will weigh around 12,500-13k when i pull out of here. Not sure what the pin weight will be.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this? I'm worried that my 2wd wont make it up the grade. Obviously I'm going to have to go pretty slow, in low gear the whole hill, but my biggest worry is that ill lose traction and end up digging a hole under the rear axle, or rolling backward and go off the side of the hill, lol. I'm hoping the pin weight will keep the rear axle firmly planted and prevent traction loss, but i have absolutely no experience with this setup. Any advice, stories? I brought it out here with a 4wd GMC gasser, but sold it this summer to find a diesel. Despite not feeling like i needed it once we moved from this location, am i going to regret not opting for a 4wd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

When it comes to towing up a hil its all about momentum. Get a good cruise speed going. Dont miss a shift, keep your rpms steady and you should be fine. There is enough weight on that rear end to provide traction. You might want to take a couple of runs at the hill without the trailer so you know where your speed/rpms drop. I wouldnt be to worried.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:04 AM

there is a 90 degree turn directly before the hill starts, and the fact that it is rocky/rutted prevents gaining momentum. I dont even break low gear going up with just the truck.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhL0aTeR View Post
there is a 90 degree turn directly before the hill starts, and the fact that it is rocky/rutted prevents gaining momentum. I dont even break low gear going up with just the truck.
Oh i didnt realize the distance issue, my fault. Does the truck ever spin out while your going up?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
Oh i didnt realize the distance issue, my fault. Does the truck ever spin out while your going up?
It does, but im sure there is a more perfect line i could take, which i do plan on doing when i am hauling it out of here, rocks are like ball bearings under the tires. This thread was the product of my thoughts after yesterday, i put my early bronco on my trailer and had to go futrther down the driveway to turn around and when i came back up the rear end broke traction a few times while trying to come back up, and i was surprised since this is a single axle trailer so it puts a good amount of weight on the hitch. I made it up, and just kinda feathered off the throttle when i broke traction, it just got me wondering about putting this much heavier trailer up a more treacherous hill.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Gotta do what you gotta do to get that trailer out of there. Take your time, relax youll get it up the hill. Do you have a come-along? or a winch just in case if you do get stuck? what about a buddy near by to spot you at the top of the hill?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM

i actually broke my comealong yesterday getting the bronco on the trailer... lol... no winch, i do have someone to spot me. I'm just wondering if its worth trying if im doomed or likely to fail with 2wd. Supposedly there is a snowmobile place in town that has a 4x4 truck with a 5th wheel hitch that offers towing services but im just thinking he will laugh at me when he comes out here.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:57 AM

I won't say youre doomed but not the best chance of making it up. Ive tried to tow up graded super steep hills and almost always had to use 4wd. that was with lots of tounge weight. The ruts could be your biggest problem
Old 10-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Winning DUHHH

Id say go for it, youd be amazed what some axle weight does for ya. Ya have nothing to lose..
Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-SC-Owner View Post
Ya have nothing to lose..
my biggest fear is making it halfway up the hill, losing traction and the 5th wheel pulling me down backwards and going over the side. I probably wont die, but as a full time RVer, this is my house. lol

The other side of this, it snowed last wednesday, and while ive been driving the road to stir it up and get the snow melted quick, its going to snow again this wednesday, so the process of sealing me in for the winter has already started.

I wasnt able to get the truck to the shop last thursday, so i couldnt try it if i wanted to. Gonna try and get it to the shop tomorrow, talk to a guy in town about pulling me to the road if my truck is ready tuesday then at least i can get out of here before the snow truly seals us in till spring.

Thanks for the replies guys, i dont think im gonna attempt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.