Towing 2 Trailers. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing 2 Trailers.

Just thought I would share my latest tow. This is the longest I have ever been. Around (65-70ft). A couple buddys and I went to Crawfordsville, IN to compete and watch the GNCC Iron Man competition. I pulled my camper and a trailer behind it with the forwheelers. I put it on my tow tune for the way down their. Here were my temps. EOT: 198-204(highest I saw was 207) ECT:190-200, Trans: 150-152. My EGT's stayed around 600-650. I wasn't too impressed with the way it pulled down thier. My Torque Converter kept unlocking and RPM's skyed. It cost $92 to get down their. On the way back I put it back on my Looney Tune since the EGT's werent too high. This pulled so much better. The torque converter stayed locked up the whole time(even on some of the steeper hills). Trans,EOT,ECT all stayed the same. EGT's ran around 650. 700(on hills). Is this okay? I thought I read somewhere that as long as you dont run 900 degrees sustained then your fine. Heres a pic of the load.
Attached Thumbnails
Towing 2 Trailers.-phone-pics-vids-2-024.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think it should be illegal to pull 2 tag trailers, but it's an RV, so you can get away with anything.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 AM

I wouldn't say illegal but maybe a certification or something. Ive seen some scary people with two tag alongs. A 5er or goose with a tag isn't as bad
Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Illegal? No, wrong!

There should be some parameters that are consistent between the states, similar to CDL rules, but non commerce. Folks driving big busses with air brakes, or loaded beyond GVWR and GCWR...

This is a discussion for another thread for sure.

But back on track i Gibson13, I never see EGT's that low while towing. If I get below 900 on the flat I am doing well. When I am on it up the grades at altitude (above 10,000 ft) the EGT's are well into the 1200s.

The fuel mileage is not only affected by weight but by air drag and rolling friction. If you want to play with all your toys at once, it costs to get them there. You could have made 2 trips

For another photo check out lets see those toy haulers!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 AM

where is your EGT probe? what temps do you see running around town/ normal DD?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I believe towing two trailers is fine but the second one should be attached to a pup so its weight is not resting on the first trailer.l
Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Where is your egt gauge? My truck runs 8-900 unloaded. If you were able to hold 700 degrees with a looney tune while towing, I'm very curious to know where your egt probe is.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
where is your EGT probe? what temps do you see running around town/ normal DD?
The probe is right after the turbo. My EGT's stay around 450-500 unloaded with regular stop and go driving.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
There's your problem. You NEED to relocate the probe to a pre-turbo location. Post-turbo readings vary wildly and are not accurate enough to prevent engine damage.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006F450 View Post
Illegal? No, wrong!

There should be some parameters that are consistent between the states, similar to CDL rules, but non commerce. Folks driving big busses with air brakes, or loaded beyond GVWR and GCWR...

This is a discussion for another thread for sure.

But back on track i Gibson13, I never see EGT's that low while towing. If I get below 900 on the flat I am doing well. When I am on it up the grades at altitude (above 10,000 ft) the EGT's are well into the 1200s.

The fuel mileage is not only affected by weight but by air drag and rolling friction. If you want to play with all your toys at once, it costs to get them there. You could have made 2 trips

For another photo check out lets see those toy haulers!
My probe is right behind my turbo so I think i'm getting correct temps. Also this setup is not very heavy. The camper is a lightweight model(maybe 4500 lbs) and the second trailer weighs around 1200lbs with the quads.

Also I'm a bit confused. You said I should have made two trips; yet you post a pic with a double axle trailer with a boat behind your camper. Maybe I misunderstood your post or something. Are you against pulling two trailers or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.