6.0 for Towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 for Towing

Hello...I'm new here and I am finding out that I have a lot to learn about Ford's diesel trucks!

My question is, I'm looking at a 2007 F-250, 6.0, 6-spd auto, XLT Crewcab with a 6.75' bed, 4x4, with 124K on it, to do pull a horse trailer or camper with.

I've heard good and bad about the 6.0 Ford motors...can anyone shed any light on these. I know the 7.3's were tough (we had them in our Ford F-350 & F-450 Ambulances...and they ran strong!) How strong are the 6.0's...and which years had the big problems? With a 2007...will I be okay? (I'm having a mechanic check the truck out later this morning.)

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the 07 6.0 is pretty good biggest thing you need to worry about is egr cooler but there are aftermarket heavy duty or delete kits to remedy that issue. my brother has an 06 that he pulls a horse trailer with and a gooseneck hauling his pulling pickup. 50k no probs so far
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just my observation over the past couple years leads me to think that if you're going to be doing much towing and hauling, pulling heavy loads, etc. then eventually a 6.0 is gonna give you trouble. Of course, any motor could give you problems. But just a whole lot more likely that when that 6.0 is worked, it doesn't want to hold up (without doing some modifications to it as mentioned in the previous post).
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree, the 6.0 bone stock is a bad dream that you can't wake up from, but if you at least deal with the EGR system, oil cooler and fuel supply pressure, IMO you will have a reliable tow vehicle. I have towed 9,000 lbs worth of equipment up and down mountain logging roads for years without a single issue.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input...the truck showed as having a lead around the rear oil cooler (I believe) and was quoted a price of $2160 to repair it...with no guarantees that it will not happen again!

I'm taking a 2000, F-250, extended cab with a 7.3l turbo diesel to be checked out this morning...163K on it and pretty clean. The Lariet seat would need to be replaced, and I'd need an upgrade from the factory cassette...but other than that it doesn't appear to need much???
Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The 6.0's do have some issues, but with the right modifications you can make them just as reliable as any other truck out there. Newer trucks (like the 07 you mention) have fewer high pressure oil problems, but they all suffer from a poorly designed oil cooler/EGR cooler coolant flow. Any repairs on a diesel truck are going to be expensive, so you might either get comfortable doing some of your own wrenching or that it will be an expensive ride. Best of luck in whatever you decide. Lots of knowledgeable people here.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to BennyLumpkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwoodie View Post
Just my observation over the past couple years leads me to think that if you're going to be doing much towing and hauling, pulling heavy loads, etc. then eventually a 6.0 is gonna give you trouble. Of course, any motor could give you problems. But just a whole lot more likely that when that 6.0 is worked, it doesn't want to hold up (without doing some modifications to it as mentioned in the previous post).

I have to call crap on that one.....I have an 06 with 166000 miles....never had a thing done until 155k when I found the oil cooler was plugged. The guy that traded it in hauled heavy all the time. My truck has a class 8 weight class sticker. Its the heaviest you can combo tag in PA. Yes some 6.0's have problems but with minimal to moderate work you can make them pretty solid. 7.3's have their problems too.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 PM

delete egr and change coolent it will pull anything you want till your trade it in or sell it just my thought
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I have to call crap on that one.....I have an 06 with 166000 miles....never had a thing done until 155k when I found the oil cooler was plugged. The guy that traded it in hauled heavy all the time. My truck has a class 8 weight class sticker. Its the heaviest you can combo tag in PA. Yes some 6.0's have problems but with minimal to moderate work you can make them pretty solid. 7.3's have their problems too

i agree we run a 06 6.0 at work and it gets run hard and is fully loaded with tools. i ran this truck for a season a couple years ago that thing runs good only gets worked on when it needs something my chevy gasser i run now has half the miles and twice the work done to it so far
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to BennyLumpkin
Gotta say I love my 6.0....at least when its running right lol j/k. No I do really like my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.