Do I need a CDL? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a CDL?

I have an 03 f-350 dialog with at gvwr of 11,500lbs, and right now I have a 7k trailer and I was looking into getting a new trailer it's an 8 ton gooseneck. And my question is do I need a cld and which class because my total gvwr between truck and trailer I'll be 27500lbs?

Thank you for all your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 AM

Not sure if it varies state to state but in Maryland and WV you do not need it unless you would using it for commercial use, as long as its farming or recreation you are fine. I would thing these regs are set by the feds so likely to be that everyware.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 AM

In NY if you're over 26k total, commercial or personal, you need a class A. Unless the truck is 26k or less, and the trailer is 10k or less. That's the only exception I've found that will allow you to be over 26k.

Local guy traded in a fully built 6.0 F-250 for a F-550 without looking into it. He could only legally pull 10k with it. He got a CDL shortly after... Then went to a Dodge.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Okay good to know. Either I have to wait until I am 21 and get my class a or just look for a 7 ton trailer instead. TJ krawler do you have any idea on what it costs to get the class a. My boss has a truck and trailer I can take the test on so that wouldn't be a problem
Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel firefighter View Post
Okay good to know. Either I have to wait until I am 21 and get my class a or just look for a 7 ton trailer instead. TJ krawler do you have any idea on what it costs to get the class a. My boss has a truck and trailer I can take the test on so that wouldn't be a problem
I would have my class A by now, but I'm not 21 either. I looked into it and think Class B (18+) is about $1,000. Class A was $5,000 or so. That's assuming you go to a truck driving school. If you can use someones truck, to learn/train in, it will probably be a LOT less, but you may not get all the small details you'll need to pass. Someone on here posted they got theirs in a single axle dump and a trailer that was just over 10k. It was over 26k, and had air brakes so it was a legal class A setup, just with a regular old 6 speed in it.

I stopped to look at a trailer down the road from me once already, but I'll stop again if I see someone out. They do parking lot sweeping and some other junk. BUT they've had a nice trailer I've been looking at every time we pass it, and last week they put a for sale sign on it, no price listed. It's black, ~22 feet, pintle with a bunch of different height adjustments, all steel diamond plate deck with heavy welded on D rings. I'm going to assume it's heavier than you want, but I'm not sure. I didn't see a tag on it looking quick, but it has dual tandems.

One of the guys there drives a nice blacked out EC SB F-250 7.3 with like 8" lift and stacks. Sounds real nice...

If you like that trailer you should be able to take it to DMV and have it re-registered at 14k. I would double check before buying it though.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel firefighter View Post
I have an 03 f-350 dialog with at gvwr of 11,500lbs, and right now I have a 7k trailer and I was looking into getting a new trailer it's an 8 ton gooseneck. And my question is do I need a cld and which class because my total gvwr between truck and trailer I'll be 27500lbs?

Thank you for all your help
What state are you in?

NY is one of a few that requires you to be 21 to get a class A, most don't.

Nevermind I missed your sig.

Last edited by Spudman; 10-17-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
over 26,001 pounds you need a CDL, truck plus trailer registered for more then 10,000 pounds goes by combined GVW, class B is state truck, class A is trailer (combination) I pulled doubles when I was 19, but I was limited to staying in state. (you cant pull hazmat or LCV "turnpike trains" or (triple) wiggle wagons either)

Last edited by mustangman02232; 10-17-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 AM
The Silent Service

26,001 lbs you need a CDL. The issue with your set up is the '03 F350 was only rated for a CGWR of 20K. Check your local laws, DOT cares about the axel ratings and tires, but your insurance and registration may not support a 27.5k F350.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
26,001 lbs you need a CDL. The issue with your set up is the '03 F350 was only rated for a CGWR of 20K. Check your local laws, DOT cares about the axel ratings and tires, but your insurance and registration may not support a 27.5k F350.
How is that possible because from for and in the manual it says I have a max trailer capacity for towing of 15500lbs so that puts me at 27k total cgwr so this all makes no sense to me. I hate that there are all of these gray areas
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 AM
The Silent Service

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...D_F250_350.pdf

Where is the manual telling you you can tow 15.5K. Also your GCWR is not as simple as GVWR of truck + GVWR of trailer (although some states do use that very formula to determine if you have enough drivers license and insurance to operate the vehicle.) The tongue weight of the trailer counts against the trucks payload. The link above shows your truck has the 20K GCWR, with a towing capacity of 12.4K. Again depending on your states registration laws, you can't hook that truck upto a 15K trailer.

Will the truck pull it, without a doubt. Just make sure you're not violating your axle or tire limitations. I recommend checking with the local DMV, and your insurance company to ensure you're covered if something goes wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.