trailer brake controler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trailer brake controler

Finally got a good flat deck/dove tail trailer... guy I got it from says the brakes work fine, but I have no trailer brake controler on any of my trucks. What is the easiest to install, works the best, and reasonably priced? Tell me what you are using... how do you like them?

I need a controler for both the yellow truck and the red truck, so I'd like to buy the same one for both, so the install and operation is the same on both trucks.

What can ya tell me?

Here is the trailer, or one of them, I also have a 12' box trailer I use at times...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Retired Coastie

I've always used Tekonsha brake controllers. Their best one is probably the Prodigy.

Here's a link Electronic Brake Control-Tekonsha Prodigy P2 on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Definitely the prodigy. Smooth stopping and it has 3 different "boost" settings. Well worth the money.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM

I have a tekonsha voyager and prodigy p2 that I plan to sell. Both work great. The rv dealership installed the voyager in my truck when I purchased my camper and after a year or so I purchased the prodigy because of the digital screen and the 3 boost settings. With the purchase of my new superduty, I dont need either. If you are interested in em, pm me. I will let the prod go for 50 bucks shipped and both for $75.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer brake controler-2011-10-12-14.39.17.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 AM

Blaque, I would have taken you up on your offer, had I not just ordered 2 of the P2 units yesterday... complete with wiring harnesses, so I can outfit both trucks, cost around $250 total.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 AM

Thats fine, at least now you have the same unit in both and the p2's are nice. I will get around to selling these one day.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Blaque, you've got a PM
Old 10-15-2011, 10:48 AM

P2 install went easy as pie... wiring harnes pluged into controler and wiring under dash, was done in 5 minutes. Remembered wiring being unhooked at plug at the bumper, so I reinstalled the blue brake wire in the proper location... but...

Ok, now for some tech advice...

Need to know what some wires go to...

At the bumper plug on the red truck, seems to be factory wiring, got my lights and brakes figured out, but there are 2 wires unhooked, one is orange (12ga) and one is black with green tracer (lighter ga, maybe 16ga, same as lighting wires)

What do these wires go to? Back up lights maybe (black/green) and constant power (orange)? Help me out here, would like to know what they are, and if I can make use of them...

Thanks...
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM

and now that I'm thinkin about it...

The yellow truck has no factory wires to the back... I have only light wiring, picked up from the tail lights, and this is what runs my trailer lights. After I hook up the P2 with the harness that plugs into the dash, where would I pick up the wires to run to the rear of the truck? Such as the white, blue, and if needed, the orange and black with green wires? Are they under the hood somewhere, how does the factory wiring get routed? Are the trailer tail lights from a sepirate harness, and should not be hooked up to the tail lights on the truck, should I run sepirate wires for the trailer lights when I run the wires for the brakes as well?

Any input/ideas welcome... thanks again.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm very happy with the Tekonsha P3. The Prodigy is the defacto industry standard though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.