I need advice from people who tow heavy with the 2008-10 F350 6.4L CC long bed trucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need advice from people who tow heavy with the 2008-10 F350 6.4L CC long bed trucks

I drive an 2008 F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Long Bed 3.73 axle ratio and pull a heavy 10 ton rated 14ft gooseneck dump trailer weight ranges between 14-17K average sometimes more and I am getting quit a bit of axle wrap. I tow in the stock mini max setting any power setting makes it worse. The truck has the factory 4" blocks and overload springs and it rides level. The axle wrap mostly occurs when the drive line is under a load and hit bumps in the road or on hard shifts. It feels like the drive shaft is going to come out from under the truck sometimes. I just let off the throttle and it goes away. I had my buddy watch as I started from a stop and it is definitely wrapping up. I did check the drive shaft carrier barring and it has the normal slop they all have. The springs are pretty much flat with the trailer hooked up but the truck is level. I never thought a stock height truck would have axle wrap. Before you flame away I did consider getting a dually but other than the 2 tires and the 4.10 gears they are not different enough that it would solve my delima. Gears are definitely not a problem! I have tried 4wd hi but it doesn't get rid of it. What aggravates me the most is around here I see almost identical trucks to mine hauling 10ton 20foot gooseneck dump trailers with 8 foot sides for fema storm cleanup stuff almost falling out the top squatting bad and driving like it's not an issue. I hate to think I need traction bars but I'm hoping someone here has had a similar issue before I start throwing money at it. I have had several Pre 08' Ford superduties and have never had this kind of problem before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm sure the weight police will be here soon!! Yes I am legally registered in my state to pull this weight. They say I'm good as long as I'm not over my tire capacity! I am not going to argue about it! So don't Try!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck does that when I'm towing also I don't think quite as bad as yours but I know what you're talking about! I thought I read some where on here that there was a tsb out to address this issue, basically ford is saying when loaded heavy the driveline is at a bad angle so I believe there's a shim kit or different blocks w/ a different angle! I just air my bags till I'm close to unload ride higth & roll off the line easy!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I have been playing with the idea of putting air bags on I have from a previous truck but wasn't sure how much it would help since the truck rides level. But if it is a drive line angle issue picking the back up should cure it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.