6.4 vs 6.7 Cummins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 vs 6.7 Cummins

Has anyone had the opportunity to tow with both? If so what was your experience like? Which motor had more power? Which truck felt sturdier?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM

i don't have any experience with a 6.4 but i own a 6.7 cummins it pulls awesome hauled bales on sunday weighed rough 30k with every load didn't even notice it back there. wish there was a little more in the rear suspension dept but thats why i'm saving for airbags. overall pickup isn't bad. i would prefer an 06 superduty with a cummins conversion but thats why i bought dodge for the engine.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Ya we have a 2010 6.7 Cummins and I am wondering how the 6.4 compares because I love my Ford and would love to go to a 6.4 next if it is comparable in towing compared to teh 6.7.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.deere View Post
i don't have any experience with a 6.4 but i own a 6.7 cummins it pulls awesome hauled bales on sunday weighed rough 30k with every load didn't even notice it back there. wish there was a little more in the rear suspension dept but thats why i'm saving for airbags. overall pickup isn't bad. i would prefer an 06 superduty with a cummins conversion but thats why i bought dodge for the engine.
You didn't even notice 30K was behind you? I'm sure there are some kenworth owners that would like to know the secret to your setup, haha.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMX117 View Post
You didn't even notice 30K was behind you? I'm sure there are some kenworth owners that would like to know the secret to your setup, haha.
Thats what i was thinking. Anyway i had a 6.7 cummins. The only reason i got rid of it was because of death wobble. The cummins had plenty of power and pulled awesome. My 6.4 also pulls awesome and had plenty of power. I do think the ford feels sturdier with a heavy load. Thats my opinion
Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 PM

it wasn't highway towing hauling bales it was from the field to the yard at those speeds any new diesel pickup should have plenty of power to not notice it and with 4 axles breaking and an exhaust brake it stops easy. i know what your getting at i drive a semi for work sometimes and slow speed 105,500 is no sweat its when your rolling down the highway that you notice all that weight
Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 07 6.7 Ram 3500 has noticeable more power than our 6.4 in the F550. The F550 is better for the stopping and suspension but the Dodge hauls and tows better and delivers better power to the ground.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbtmatt View Post
My 07 6.7 Ram 3500 has noticeable more power than our 6.4 in the F550. The F550 is better for the stopping and suspension but the Dodge hauls and tows better and delivers better power to the ground.
f550 have 4.88 gears so to say 3500 dodge would pull better with 3.73s is just crazy talk but hey you drove it no me
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM

I own both and stock to stock the 6.7 pulls better then the 6.4! I deleted my 6.4 & it's a bada$$ the 6.7 is still stock w/@ 90,000 on it! I will say though the ford chassis feels a lot sturdier then the dodge when loaded! As for the death wobble comment I find that funny I've owned Dodges since '00, this includes 6 trucks & never had death wobble, bought my '10 f350 & have death wobble!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have spent quite a bit of time hauling with a 2010 6.7 cummins. New to my 2010 6.4 Powerstroke. I have to say, when loaded, they feel very similar in power to me.
I regularly tow 3000-14,000 pounds.
I would way rather tow with the ford. It feels way sturdier. The transmission behaves in a much more intelligent manner.
Just the differences in the tranny are way more than enough to make me prefer my ford, over the dodge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.