CDL requirements per state - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CDL requirements per state

Here is a new thread to avoid the "What do you tow PIC Thread" thread from being locked/closed.

Let the yelling begin lol

New Jersey:

Commercial driver license (CDL)

Class A includes
-Tractor trailers
-Any truck and trailer combination with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds provided that the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds
-Any vehicle in B, C or D categories, if you have qualified for the proper extra endorsements

Class B includes
-Any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds
-A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds towing a trailer with a GVWR of less than 10,000 pounds
-A bus with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including driver)
-Vehicles in Class C and D categories provided you have qualified for the proper extra endorsements

Class C includes
-Any vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds used to transport hazardous material (with mandatory placard)
-Any bus designed to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver) and with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds
-School vehicles designed for 15 passengers or less (including the driver)
-Any bus or vehicle used for hire and designed to transport eight to 15 passengers (including the driver)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 08:26 AM

In Pennsylvania we have Non-commercial and, of course, Commercial Class A, B, & C licenses.

PENNDOT Class of Driver's Licenses
Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I put in my 2 cents, In Iowa I know this much, IF the GVWR of the truck and trailer (assuming the trailer is over 10000GRWR) combined exceed 26000 you need a CDL, IT does not matter if it will be used commercial or not! EXEMPTION if it is an RV! But if the trailer is under 10000GVWR the truck can have a GVWR up to 26000lbs. But if the trailer is over 10000GVWR you cant go over 26000GVWR. Clear as mud right? Ok here is an few examples, you can use your f450 to tow your 40ft camper which together has a GVWR of 30000lbs without a CDL. Or you can use your F550 @19k GVWR plus a 8K GVWR trailer for a total of 27k doesn't need a CDL because the truck isn't over 26k and the trailer isn't over 10k. BUT you cant use your f250 to tow a 30' flatbed with a combined GVWR of 26001lbs, that would need a CDL. Does it make sense to me? No but thats the way it is. Is this a law thats enforced? I don't know, all I know is that I wont pull anything with a gvrw over 16000lbs (my truck has a 10000gvwr) unless I get my CDL. Go to the iowa DOT website and on the right hand side of the page click on "Manuals and study guides" and Read the "CDL in a manual". here is a link to the dot website Iowa driver's manuals and study guides - Iowa Motor Vehicle Division
Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
I put in my 2 cents, In Iowa I know this much, IF the GVWR of the truck and trailer (assuming the trailer is over 10000GRWR) combined exceed 26000 you need a CDL, IT does not matter if it will be used commercial or not! EXEMPTION if it is an RV! But if the trailer is under 10000GVWR the truck can have a GVWR up to 26000lbs. But if the trailer is over 10000GVWR you cant go over 26000GVWR. Clear as mud right? Ok here is an few examples, you can use your f450 to tow your 40ft camper which together has a GVWR of 30000lbs without a CDL. Or you can use your F550 @19k GVWR plus a 8K GVWR trailer for a total of 27k doesn't need a CDL because the truck isn't over 26k and the trailer isn't over 10k. BUT you cant use your f250 to tow a 30' flatbed with a combined GVWR of 26001lbs, that would need a CDL. Does it make sense to me? No but thats the way it is. Is this a law thats enforced? I don't know, all I know is that I wont pull anything with a gvrw over 16000lbs (my truck has a 10000gvwr) unless I get my CDL. Go to the iowa DOT website and on the right hand side of the page click on "Manuals and study guides" and Read the "CDL in a manual". here is a link to the dot website Iowa driver's manuals and study guides - Iowa Motor Vehicle Division
Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 PM

For all practical purposes the CDL requirements are the same for all the states except one.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
For all practical purposes the CDL requirements are the same for all the states except one.
Hawaii or Alaska?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMustang370 View Post
Hawaii or Alaska?
Commnifornia.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 PM

Oh.............

There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement on a CDL.

Just thought I would through that out there.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What about if you are hauling hay? Are there exemptions for farm use? I have seen farmers hauling 26 round bails on a goose neck before, do they have to have a cdl. I guess that would 13000 lbs of hay plus ever how much the truck and gooseneck weighs?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasF250 View Post
What about if you are hauling hay? Are there exemptions for farm use? I have seen farmers hauling 26 round bails on a goose neck before, do they have to have a cdl. I guess that would 13000 lbs of hay plus ever how much the truck and gooseneck weighs?
Most states have a farm exemption. It is only good for 150 miles from "home".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.