To all those with Fontaine conversions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To all those with Fontaine conversions.

Geez...i'm feelin like i've been smitten by the bad luck monster. Coming home from the son's house last week, no trailer in tow thanlfully, 65mph on the fwy...BOOM...rear out side tire explodes and basically rips/bends everything that supports the fender to the box on my Fontaine bed. To all those that have one of these bed coversions keep a check on those rear tires. Any damage to the exterior fender panels will require fiberglass repair as no replacements are available. Thankfully it just got the supports, liner and all of the marker lights and harness. Very little outside damage except for a few chips in the edges of the fiberglass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 AM
The Tamed Racing Driver

My dad had a tire blow out on his 550. Glad it didn't do too much damage, just bent the metal support for the mud flap.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

i might sound like a but what is a fontaine conversion
Old 09-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Rick,
Maybe check with your insurance company and see if it would be covered. I know that most body damage (like in your case) is covered even though they often don't cover damage resulting from blowouts. Sometimes (depending on the amount of damage) they will pay for your claim and then subrogate (means try to get their money back) from the tire company or warranty company. Just a thought.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoastStroker View Post
i might sound like a but what is a fontaine conversion
I was thinking the same but glad you beat me to it.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pretty sure those are the 450/550 haulers with a custom made bed.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Can you hear the derail??

The bed that makes it look like a gargantuan pick up?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

A Fontaine conversion is asothers have stated. Fontaine (think semi-truck)is a type of outfitter that from I think 1998 to 2007 made a pickup type bed for F450-550's which, until2008, only came with straight frame rails behind the cab, unlike most pick-up's which have contoured ones. A standard bed will not fit unless it is highly modified. These beds are a composite of a steel box with one piece fiberglass fenders. The box is only like 17" deep and it is some what longer than 8' to accomodate the 200" wheelbase. Most of these trucks also either had Link air suspension (like mine) or Greyco (which had some recall issues...cracked track bar mounts I think). It is actually a nice setup but is no longer in production and no fiberglass fenders are available. Thankfully I had no fiberglass damage other than a few big chips in the edged inside the wheel wells.
Attached Thumbnails
To all those with Fontaine conversions.-8-14-11-ford-pics-038.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Rick,
Maybe check with your insurance company and see if it would be covered. I know that most body damage (like in your case) is covered even though they often don't cover damage resulting from blowouts. Sometimes (depending on the amount of damage) they will pay for your claim and then subrogate (means try to get their money back) from the tire company or warranty company. Just a thought.
Yeah. Thankfully not much fiberglass damage...mostly mechanical stuff, steel angle iron supports and stuff. $1000.00 deductable and probably not that much in damage (I HOPE!!). The tires were OE with only 50K on them so no hope of a tire claim. They had >50% tread but were pretty hard. I actually had ordered new ones to be installed the next weekend. You know the old saying Day Late Dollar Short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.