Gooseneck hitch question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gooseneck hitch question

Just bought a new trailer and b&w turnover ball. Trailer is a 36x8.5 enclosed goose with a 2ft V nose. The hitch on the trailer is right on the front edge on the trailer. I thought with the V nose I would be good to go with my short bed, but its gets close quick. I just picked up the B&W ball that moves it back 4". Have not checked to see how much of a difference it makes yet.

I feel like the hitch on the truck is too far forward. I believe it is about 6" forward of the axle. Has anyone modified the B&W hitch to be slide back some? It sits right on the flat part of the frame and there is room to move it back.

I remember seeing a extension for the trailer before, but I am not sure if they put too much stress on the trailer? Its an all aluminum trailer, but will only be around 14k fully loaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A turn over ball 6" in front of the axle is exactly where it needs to be. They do that so that when the trailer is on some of the weight is kept over your steers. I have used those adapters that move the hitch back and at only four inches you will still be fine for weight. You definitely do not want the ball anywhere behind your rear axle, that is just asking for trouble. In your pic it looks like you have an over the ril tool box. My best advice is to lose the tool box and get and in bed one that stays below the rails or go buy a long bed truck.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Differently no option of getting a long bed. Not after just getting the motor in this one built. Tool box is only a few inches above the rails so it should not be much of an issue. Going to hook it up with the 4" back ball tomorrow and see how much it helps. It does tow really nice as is. Makes me wonder why I ever went back to tag trailers. 90% of my towing will be from home, to the highway, to a large parking area so it should not be a huge deal.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

b&w turnover ball
Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Is that a question or an answer?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM

well as odd as it seems. The 4" back hitch made a huge difference. I would say about an extra 15-20* of turn before it gets really close. I can turn to about 80* before I am a few inches from the cab corner. Not perfect, But good enough to keep me happy.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well that is good and I am glad that it is working for you.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 PM

This is with the 4" back ball. It seems like there is tons of room, not nearly as much as I thought when I first picked it up.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/IMAG1227.jpg
Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM

I had the same issue with the gooseneck I bought a couple weeks ago, a 38'x8.5' with no V-nose won't turn more than about 45 degrees before it would touch the cab. Luckly the guy I bought the trailer from had this custom hitch, it gives me about 16" more so now it lets me turn about 75/80 degrees before the trailer would touch the cab.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Sorry for the big pics, you wouldnt think a cel phone pic would end up being so f-ing big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.