any horse huallers out there? i'm trailer shoping. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to navyeoseabee
any horse huallers out there? i'm trailer shoping.

i am wondering what size of horse trailer i should buy.

i have pretty good understanding about gvwr, and gvcwr, axle weight rating...tire weight rating.... but

i am stuck at wanting a 3 horse trailer and a 4 horse trailer. it would be a newer aluminum one not the old school steel styles.

first off, my truck:
2007 f250 "SRW" 6.0l all stock motor, but a airaid air filter. the rear leaf springs were swaped with a 2005 F350.

-my plans:
*the kong looking (dog toy looking things?) rear spring helpers or IF i have to air bags...dn't want too do bags though.

*a edge monitor ...not programmer, but digital monitor just to watch the egts, oil pressures.

*b&w hide a hitch, for the goose neck.

one reason i am am asking is i believe my 10,000 GVWR truck can tow a 4 horse trailer, but there is no rule, law, or guidance on the gvcwr! and i am not about to buy a trailer and take it to the scale to see if the rear wheels are carring too much weight!

...i have a friend that huals a 5 horse with a 1997 f350 drw with the 7.4 and another f350 drw with the 460 gasser that tows a 4 horse ...but the gvwr did change between the 97's and the 07's ...any help... i am scratching my head and i am already bald!-lol

Last edited by navyeoseabee; 07-10-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 AM
The Silent Service

Here's what Ford says you can tow:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp17Aug06.pdf

I'm going to venture the F250 is the 23K GCWR set up. Its all going to come down to GAWR and how the trailer is loaded. 15.5K should support any 4 horse trailer out there, however you're limiting factor is going to be the F250 rear axle rating. When you swapped the springs out of the F350, did you also swap out the blocks? Won't help much in the GAWR department, but it will level off the load.

I recommend you take the truck down to the scales when you get a chance, with a full load of fuel. Get a base of what your truck weighs, that should allow you to accurately look at a trailer that will have a light enough pin for you to be able to use.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

thank you for your reply it is very helpful.i figured the best way is to load up my buddies first and take it to the scales..... this Am my wife says she wants a trailer with a living space! this women doesn't understand that there is so much junk that fits in the truck

thank you again.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a bud that hauls a 3 horse living quarters with a f250.. hes got air bags if i remember right...lol

Anyway that being said if you dont look like you're overloaded, no ones gonna bug you...

Meanwhile.. theres alot of brands to choose from out there, i havent seen any 'bad' trailers myself.. i've pulled my share of bumper pulls...aluminum and steel... you definitely want the lighter aluminum for sure lol.

How many horses are you hauling? or just want room for friends? Btw living quarters trailers are pretty much amazing, i would buy one if i could...that adds weight too though..then the horses arent light... lol
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

well we are leaning towards a used 4 horse , just have to talk to the bank tomarrow. the owners have started to convert the tack room into a living space couple pre-fab'ed cabinets and counter top from lowes would completed it. that would cut weight of the fansy stuff.

we would only need a 3 horse but if we could fit an extra horse in for grand nationals in oklahoma city, we could pay for fuel to get there from san diego...
and bigger is better-lol

Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

I have a Kiefer Built Genesis 2+1, I see no problem with a 3 horse slant with a small living quarters. I would recommend air bags though not only to help with sag but they reduce trailer sway. Make sure that the registered weight of your truck is high enough and happy hauling.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

WOW, some time went by, we didn't get the horse trailer yet. instead i got to tow my friends 4-horse trailer. here are a few pics.

first is the leaving picture, with it weighing more due to feed,fulll coolers, and other consumables.

homeward bound picture:

i did this with the newly installed B&W hide a ball, and timbren overloads.

i went with the timbren over loads because i did not want to spend the $400 extra to get airbags,and deal with a airleak in the middle of AZ or NM! i am really happy with the first trip with them, which my brother has been using them for years now.

here is a link to the timbren the set for the F25-350's look justlike the one in the bottom left picture on thir site.

Timbren SES Kits - Suspension Enhancement for your Vehicle
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyeoseabee View Post
WOW, some time went by, we didn't get the horse trailer yet. instead i got to tow my friends 4-horse trailer. here are a few pics.

first is the leaving picture, with it weighing more due to feed,fulll coolers, and other consumables.

homeward bound picture:

i did this with the newly installed B&W hide a ball, and timbren overloads.

i went with the timbren over loads because i did not want to spend the $400 extra to get airbags,and deal with a airleak in the middle of AZ or NM! i am really happy with the first trip with them, which my brother has been using them for years now.

here is a link to the timbren the set for the F25-350's look justlike the one in the bottom left picture on thir site.

Timbren SES Kits - Suspension Enhancement for your Vehicle
What were the part numbers for the setup you picked up from timbren and about how much did it run you? You just setup the rear suspension?

So if im seeing this right its just a big bumpstop?

That trailer looks great behind fords Did you have 4 head in there?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke99 View Post
What were the part numbers for the setup you picked up from timbren and about how much did it run you? You just setup the rear suspension?

So if im seeing this right its just a big bumpstop?

That trailer looks great behind fords Did you have 4 head in there?
this chart will help you.
Ford Application Guide for Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

F250 SUPER DUTY 2005-10 part number is 2wd and 4wd is the same number FR250SDF

i only did the rear set, they were $215.00, shipped and tax. they took about around 30 minutes to install.

-they are a big bump stop, but they are hallowed out like a dog's toy "Kong"
( just incase you don't know what a kong is KONG Classic Dog Toys - Toys - Dog - PetSmart )

i had 4 horses in the trailer with a bunch of tack and other stuff. The timbren system was compressed a bit, which was a very smooth ride, and no sway at all. i would recommend them over airbags due to the cost, effectiveness, installation time, and no worries of a air leak in the system.

p.s.
they give you a 1/2" washer made of the same rubber material and it was optional to use and i choose not to use it, which allowed my truck to sit 1/2" lower when loaded.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyeoseabee View Post
this chart will help you.
Ford Application Guide for Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

F250 SUPER DUTY 2005-10 part number is 2wd and 4wd is the same number FR250SDF

i only did the rear set, they were $215.00, shipped and tax. they took about around 30 minutes to install.

-they are a big bump stop, but they are hallowed out like a dog's toy "Kong"
( just incase you don't know what a kong is KONG Classic Dog Toys - Toys - Dog - PetSmart )

i had 4 horses in the trailer with a bunch of tack and other stuff. The timbren system was compressed a bit, which was a very smooth ride, and no sway at all. i would recommend them over airbags due to the cost, effectiveness, installation time, and no worries of a air leak in the system.

p.s.
they give you a 1/2" washer made of the same rubber material and it was optional to use and i choose not to use it, which allowed my truck to sit 1/2" lower when loaded.

Sounds like it worked perfect. Thanks for the info, ill prob pick some up sometime soon. Now I just need to pick up a nice 4 horse hauler like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.