Keeping EGT's in Check? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keeping EGT's in Check?

Figured this be a logical place to ask.

What mods are ya'll running in an effort to keep EGT's in check while towing?

I don't get the chance to tow as often as I would like, and am always looking for ways to improve my trucks towing performance. My biggest concern is EGT's on the grades, and I would like to be comfortable at my max GCWR (26k). So what are my options?

I have an aftermarket exhaust on order, turbo-back MBRP with CAT. (before ya'll jump on me and say dump the CAT, the trend with state police lately seems to be checking for emissions equipment, so its staying on). I will be running IDP's Tow Tune, and other than that my truck is stock with the exception of Studs and Gauges.

Any feedback, suggestions, links, and experiance are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get rid of the factory closed box air filter setup and get either a Tymar or a DIY intake. The more air you can draw in will help lower EGT's.

Also, gut the cat before you put the exhaust on. They have no way of telling if a cat is gutted or not. I don't think a diesel has the same laws for removing a cat as a gas vehicle. I think it is ok to remove one.

With a gutted or no cat, the EGT's will be lower as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Water injection kit will reduce EGT's considerably. I have several friends who tow using water injection and they swear by them. I'm considering one right now and toying between the Snow Performance and Cooling Mist kits, with a slight edge to the Cooling Mist kit.

I have tried removing the cat (limited results), upgraded intake elbow (limited results), aftermarket cold air intake (limited results) and have gone back to the stock configuration for each of these because they didn't provide any substantial return on the investment.

A buddy of mine has the exact same truck (it even has the slate gray paint) and he runs the Snow kit and LOVES it. He has plenty of power and it keeps his EGT's in check.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 AM
The Silent Service

I've read great things about Water/Meth, mounting a tank and all is the hardest bit to figure. I am keeping the stock filter, ain't risking dusting the turbo with an aftermarket.

I've looked at an intake elbow, and found those are running around $400 and I can get a new intercooler for $1200, I don't see how I could accomplish much with just the elbow. And I haven't found hard numbers on the effectiveness of an IC.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The intercooler isn't going to do much for you, maybe another 100* which a buddy of mine confirmed. He is running the Banks intercooler on his 06 with upgraded pipes and intake elbow and his was maybe 100* cooler. He didn't tow much, so it may have been more with a load behind it, but I would tend to doubt it.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
The Silent Service

I've learned CT has passed a "stock exhaust" law that takes effect in Oct. Which is my next duty station, so I'll need to do something other than exhaust for EGT control.

Last edited by colo_dually; 06-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 PM

They can't enforce it if the aftermarket exhaust kit meets or exceeds federal emission laws.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 PM
The Silent Service

It's not smiply being toted as an emissions issue, its hiding under a noise ordinance as well. Any state can restrict laws further than the Feds do, look at California's emission laws.

It takes effect in Oct. and will be enforced during vehicle inspections at a minimum. Mass. already has a similar law in effect and in force, there is a thread on the ORG about a member who failed with a DPF-back pipe.

Massachusetts Drivers beware!

Last edited by colo_dually; 06-12-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Even more reason why I wont ever live in a liberal state.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
The Silent Service

I'm not moving there on my choice partner, military orders...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.