Another GVWR ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Undefinable

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another GVWR ???

I have a 2001 F350 4x4 crew cab dually diesel. I plan on pulling a 7000# cargo express enclosed car hauler (20ft Vnose). I am very confused as to what weight my F350 weight rating is. I will also be using the truck to transport boats. anything from canoes and kayaks to go fast boats. I eventually will be transfering everything to my companys name but for now its just gonna be for personal use.
Is the GVWR of 11500lbs the total weight of everything loaded(truck, trailer, people and cargo)?
How do i find the unladen weight of my truck?(iWould it be the weight shown on the title?)6950lbs.
When the Women at the DMV asked me hat my total weight would be, and i had know idea at the time so i told her 8000#s.
So now i can only carry 1050lbs of people,cargo,trailers and gear legally, correct?
So now i need to know what weight i need to ammend my registration to so i have no legal issues on the road?
I guess i am just confused and am having #### nightmares
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont know as far as all the weight for the truck. I have 2 2000 7.3s both have 18k plates on them i can get 24,000 lb for them they dont care if your truck can tow it or not as long as you have the right tags and paid the money. The first tags i bought for them where 12,000 its only a few dollars more on the 18s

But i would have atleast got 12,000 since the gvwr is 11. My aunt works for the DOT licensing bureau she said its not a huge thing unless you are way over weight on the tags unless you get a pecker for a cop. But each state is different. Also its no big deal to upgrade to larger plates all you have to do is pay the difference in the plates.

Last edited by studdgage; 06-04-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Undefinable

Well being from ny i am well aware of the money grab, i just wanna be safe.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
yes, gvwr is the maximum allowable weight of the truck with all cargo, occupants, and trailer tongue weight. GCWR is the maxium allowable weight of the truck, cargo, and whatever you are towing. To find the weight of your truck, hit a truckstop scale, or go to the local garbage dump-they'll weigh you and give you a print out for free.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 PM

however, despite what your truck has for gvwr, whatever you tell the dmv is the max you are legally allowed to carry. You can tell them 8000 so as to be in the cheaper registration bracket, but make sure you don't exceed that and get pulled over (very unlikely, but hey). That's why I register my vehicles with the full manufacturer gvwr. Never know when you'll need it.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Open your manual and check, but I believe the Total weight, (Cargo, passengers, truck, trailer) cant be over 20,000 per Ford's rating, which should also be the correct Legal DOT rating. I believe it is also stamped on the door sticker (which is usually what DOT goes off of).... if yours hasn't worn off like mine has.

So i figure a 10,000lb trailer is the MAX.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdgage View Post
I dont know as far as all the weight for the truck. I have 2 2000 7.3s both have 18k plates on them i can get 24,000 lb for them they dont care if your truck can tow it or not as long as you have the right tags and paid the money. The first tags i bought for them where 12,000 its only a few dollars more on the 18s

But i would have atleast got 12,000 since the gvwr is 11. My aunt works for the DOT licensing bureau she said its not a huge thing unless you are way over weight on the tags unless you get a pecker for a cop. But each state is different. Also its no big deal to upgrade to larger plates all you have to do is pay the difference in the plates.
you can put whatever gvwr on your registration you want, but if you exceed what is allowable by the manufacturer, your insurance won't cover you in the event of an accident, and you'll get fined.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Undefinable

my door tag says 11500 and i dont have a the diesel supplement for the owners manual or the manual itself for that fact.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
http://www.flmowner.com/

If you make an account with this site, you can put your VIN in and download PDF files of both your Owner's Manual AND the Diesel Suppliment. Has more info, like service schedules, etc.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
you can put whatever gvwr on your registration you want, but if you exceed what is allowable by the manufacturer, your insurance won't cover you in the event of an accident, and you'll get fined.
Thats not what DOT was telling me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.