ECT/EOT temps - 8000lbs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT/EOT temps - 8000lbs

Hi all, wanted to pass along my vitals from my first decent towing experience and get your opinions.

2006 F250, stock head bolts, egr & oil cooler stock.
80 degs F
8000 +/- 500 lbs with trailer and gear
34 foot travel trailer
decent up and down grades to pull with limited flat ground.
60-65 mph
A/C on, set at 70 deg
Using Matt's 8K tow tune

ECT - 202 to 214 degrees
EOT - 210 to 224 degrees

I averaged an 11-14 degree delta between ECT/EOT and only went over 15 for a few minutes and would come right back down and that only happened after a decent pull up a grade.

My reason for being concerned is I've installed an EDAS(Engine Damage Avoidance System) from POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics and Home of EDASŪ "Engine Damage Avoidance System" for Powerstroke Diesel Trucks and it went off when my EOT's hit 224 pulling up a grade. I immediately pulled over and let the truck idle and cool down for about 10 minutes. Do these temps look like I'm having issues? No puking and not low on coolant but worried that I'm towing less than 9000 lbs and want to avoid a complete motor failure if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 AM

I've hit 230F EOT and more while under heavy load with my 7.3 F250, such as climbing with a trailer. I don't think your readings are too high when towing a four-ton, high-profile load. Your water temperatures seem normal as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCPowerStroker View Post
Hi all, wanted to pass along my vitals from my first decent towing experience and get your opinions.

2006 F250, stock head bolts, egr & oil cooler stock.
80 degs F
8000 +/- 500 lbs with trailer and gear
34 foot travel trailer
decent up and down grades to pull with limited flat ground.
60-65 mph
A/C on, set at 70 deg
Using Matt's 8K tow tune

ECT - 202 to 214 degrees
EOT - 210 to 224 degrees

I averaged an 11-14 degree delta between ECT/EOT and only went over 15 for a few minutes and would come right back down and that only happened after a decent pull up a grade.

My reason for being concerned is I've installed an EDAS(Engine Damage Avoidance System) from POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics and Home of EDASŪ "Engine Damage Avoidance System" for Powerstroke Diesel Trucks and it went off when my EOT's hit 224 pulling up a grade. I immediately pulled over and let the truck idle and cool down for about 10 minutes. Do these temps look like I'm having issues? No puking and not low on coolant but worried that I'm towing less than 9000 lbs and want to avoid a complete motor failure if possible.

Thanks in advance.
No, those temps do not point to any issues.

That system.....well...i will just keep most of my opinion to myself, other than to say that it would have been a whole lot cheaper to do a bit of research and buy a few gauges instead of some electronic idiot light.

Your thermostat does not even open fully until you hit 223°F or thereabout. The thermostat just begins to open at 190°F.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
No, those temps do not point to any issues.

That system.....well...i will just keep most of my opinion to myself, other than to say that it would have been a whole lot cheaper to do a bit of research and buy a few gauges instead of some electronic idiot light.

Your thermostat does not even open fully until you hit 223°F or thereabout. The thermostat just begins to open at 190°F.
It starts to open at 184 actually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.