Wich weight distribution hitch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wich weight distribution hitch?

I need to haul a 30' heavy duty tri axle trailer about 2000 miles next week. It will have a 26' sailboat on it. The boat only weighs 3700lbs. I don't know how much the trailer weighs and am concerned with the amount of weight that will be added on the tongue ( the tires are in the back of the trailer so I would guess the front of the trailer is very heavy ). I want to use a weight distribution hitch for the haul and am wondering which one to get. Here are two that I found on craigslist. Is the first one even a weight distribution hitch, or just sway bars?

Weight Distribution Hitch

Reese High Performance Trunnion Weight Distributing Hitch (1,200 lbs)

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to harleyultra1969
I've heard nothing but good things about that Reese dual cam anti-sway hitch. I've thought about swapping out my draw-tite hitch with one of those. That's my 2 pennies
Old 05-28-2011, 02:00 PM

Forgot to mention that I am renting the trailer, so I won't be installing the sway feature of the reese. I am not as worried about sway, as much as the weight. I will also have about 2000lbs in my bed. 96 F350 CC 4wd, single wheel.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to harleyultra1969
For only 3,700 lbs I wouldn't think you'd even need weight distribution with an F-350, but either option is good. Both of those are reputable hitch companies.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyultra1969 View Post
For only 3,700 lbs I wouldn't think you'd even need weight distribution with an F-350, but either option is good. Both of those are reputable hitch companies.
The boat is 3700, the flatbed is probably around 5000lbs, I don't know what the tongue weight of the flatbed is, but probably a lot. Plus I'll have another 2000lbs in the bed of the truck. My main concern is not knowing what the tongue weight of the trailer is. I hope its under 1000lbs. But with the boat added it will be more.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 AM

Both are weight distribution and sway control. I have used first one on at trailer that was about 5500. I just bought new trailer and got reese with out the cams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.