towing with big lift/tires-who does it? My (long) story - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
towing with big lift/tires-who does it? My (long) story

As much as I didn't want to do it, especially with the 6.0, I ended up taking my truck on a 3200 mile round trip to pick up a truck this week. My truck is as follows:

2005 f350 srw ccsb
12" Fabtech radius arm lift/deaver rear spring lift
40" procomp x-terrains
Edge juice/attitude
03 turbo
diamond eye 4" turbo back exhaust
full egr delete
snow stage 2 boost cooler
373 gears (ouch)

As apprehensive as I was when I left, I felt much better when I got back. No issues whatsoever (left it in tow/haul mode, with the edge set to tow). I was a bit worried heading into the appalachians with the loaded trailer (20' car hauler bumper pull with 2007 f350 cclb 4x4 on it-total weight of my truck, trailer, and my truck was right around 19k (4500 front axle, 6200 rear axle, 8300 trailer) without passengers and with an empty tank of fuel)

I've pulled much heavier with my last truck, but the lift wasn't quite as big (9" with 38.5s, cclb), and to be honest, I had more faith in the 7.3. I always found myself checking to see if the 6.0 had lost any coolant (it did not). The 5r110 was perfect for the job, always seemed to have be in the right gear, but due to the gearing/tires it never hit 5th gear towing. Light years ahead of the 4r100. Absolutely perfect.

Averaged 13.2 mpg unloaded, and 12.9 loaded (???)
Went through about 4 gallons of windshield washer fluid (lol) but egt's never exceeded 1100.

I guess my question is, who tows with a big lift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i dont have a BIG lift but i do pull. i came across the scales in a factory we were working in pulling our gehl skidder on our tagalong trailer and weighed out at 26,440 lbs just truck trailer and skidder. pulls with no problems. FORD
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 PM

It wasn't so much the weight I was worried about, although I was surprised when I hit the scales. I'm closing in on 250k on the stock headbolts/gaskets, and a 3000+mile trip had me concerned. I have a 12" aluminum drop hitch and had to set it on the lowest notch to ride level. I was pleasantly surprised at how the truck handled it, although I would have liked to be able to go fast enough to use overdrive, I think it was for the best as my mileage was fairly good.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow thats actually very decent mpg for you were doing, glad to hear, and ya i dont doubt it glad the ol 6oh is holdin up strong for ya.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 PM

I was definately happy with the mileage-I honestly was hoping for 8-9 loaded, first fill up had me cautiously happy, by the time I filled up the third time and was still over 12mpg, I was thrilled. Keeping the truck in 4th had it working less than it would have in OD.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im on 40s and my truck spends most of the week hooked up to an enclosed tool trailer or a 16ft open trailer. Never hauled long distance often though.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM

i tow a 12k pintle trailer with my truck and i love it, it works awesome! the trucks always has power.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what about towing a gooseneck trailer? what requirements should be done before towing
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM

i know a couple people who tow with a lifted truck and gooseneck, as long as the neck is high enough i think you would be fine, the only problem id see is the neck hitting the bed, some people lift the trailer and some custom raise the front neck...
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 PM

There is no conceivable way I could tow a goosneck/fifth wheel with my truck unfortunately. I was debating a 4 link rear suspension with airbags so I could drop it down enough, as recently It would have been helpful to have the ability. It sucks having a nice truck that COULD pull what you need, and having to borrow a crappy old dodge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.