Trailer Brake question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer Brake question

I recently bought a used utility trailer with (maybe) electric brakes.

I haven't pulled a hub to see for sure yet. But there is a disconnected breakaway switch on the tongue. So I'm assuming there are some brakes under there.

My question is.

To activate the brakes is electricity applied to the brakes?

Or does electricity keep the brakes pulled away from the hub and removing the electricity lets the shoes contact the hubs?

Seems it would have to be the latter, or the breakaway switch would be of no purpose.

That said my hubs spin freely connected to my truck or not. And I know they are not working because my brake controller tells me so.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
the brakes are applied with electricity. The brake away box has its own battery.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
the brakes are applied with electricity. The brake away box has its own battery.
AH! Now things make sense. I haven't found a battery so I am betting it was removed by a previous owner.

Thanks.

I got to crawl under there and get the brakes working. My F350 dually stops it just fine brakes or no, but it needs to be right in case it ever breaks loose.

I can just imagine my 16 foot box trailer bouncing across the freeway into the front of a Smart Car. Not pretty.

I found wiring diagrams all over the net but no explanation of how it all works.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

If you look on the brake back plate, you should see wires coming out of them. That would mean you have brakes. As dereku stated, the break away circuit would use the trailer battery to apply the brakes in case the trailer and tow vehicle separates.

The way the circuit works is that voltage is applied to the brakes. There is a electro-magnet inside the drum. When voltage is applied, the magnet attaches it self to the brake drum face - that activates a cam, which in turn presses the brake shoes out against the drum. Works very similar to car drum brakes except it's electric. If the break-away is pulled, the battery on the trailer applies max voltage to the brake magnet to get max braking.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/10-Electric-Trailer-Brake-Assemblies/dp/tech-data/B001KN7A2W http://www.amazon.com/10-Electric-Trailer-Brake-Assemblies/dp/tech-data/B001KN7A2W

I added that just so you'd have an idea of what the inside of the brakes might look like. Reference only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.