Trailer winch ???s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Trailer winch ???s

So I got a 24' enclosed car trailer, I want to put a winch in the front to drag cars in there. Is there any reason I couldn't use a 3000lb ATV winch? A 3000lb winch will pull like 5300 at a 10 to 20 percent grade, which is more than i will ever need. Is there any reason I can't do this? Also, what do you guys run for winches in your trailers? Thanks

Lars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 62 Times in 58 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You might want to find how many Feet per Minute it's gonna take-up though. Sometimes small winches are really slow. It'll drive you crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's a good point I didn't check that. The one I am looking at says 3.3fpm at full weight and 8.3fpm at 2000lbs. That doesn't seen to bad, but i don't know a lot about winches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 2,794
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wouldn't use an ATV winch, you want something that has a real winch brake in it. I use a Superwinch 3500 lbs in my 24ft and a S-4000 in my 48ft trailer with wireless remote controls.

Also, get a marine battery and mount it right beside the winch, if you use the kit that runs power from the truck battery, you lose too much juice to make the winch work right.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
I wouldn't use an ATV winch, you want something that has a real winch brake in it. I use a Superwinch 3500 lbs in my 24ft and a S-4000 in my 48ft trailer with wireless remote controls.

Also, get a marine battery and mount it right beside the winch, if you use the kit that runs power from the truck battery, you lose too much juice to make the winch work right.

Hope this helps.
I was going to do the marine batter next to the winch, seemed like the best idea. Who do you keep it charged though? Is the line for the trailer battery enough to keep the winch battery charged? One more question, do you have a model # off the winch you use? All of the 3500lbs ones I have been looking at are classified as atv winches. The wireless remote is a must, that is going to be the only way to go for me. Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 2,794
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsj53 View Post
I was going to do the marine batter next to the winch, seemed like the best idea. Who do you keep it charged though? Is the line for the trailer battery enough to keep the winch battery charged? One more question, do you have a model # off the winch you use? All of the 3500lbs ones I have been looking at are classified as atv winches. The wireless remote is a must, that is going to be the only way to go for me. Thanks for the reply.
I'd go with the S- series from Superwinch, they don't make a 3500# like I have anymore, the S- Series is the new version.

I charge a marine battery about once a week,( 8-10 cars.) If you only use it for the weekends, one a month should be enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
I'd go with the S- series from Superwinch, they don't make a 3500# like I have anymore, the S- Series is the new version.

I charge a marine battery about once a week,( 8-10 cars.) If you only use it for the weekends, one a month should be enough.
Sounds good, I just found a really good deal on a s4000, might just get that and the wireless. Thanks for your input.

Lars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I use the Champion 8000# in my trailer from TSC and I love it. I had a small 3k from harbor freight and that thing was slow and short and thin cable. The Winch from TSC I got on sale for $350 and I love it. Heavy cable, 95' long and powerful enough for anything youll fit in an enclosed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors