Brake controllers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake controllers

There's a ton of info out here about GxWR and suspension and air bags and mods to help the truck move a load, but what about stopping them? Most of the RVs, goosenecks, and longer bumper hitch trailers are going to be using electronic brakes, I'm guessing, so what controller are y'all using? Does it really matter? Or do you just point the rig uphill or towards a line of Priuses when you want to stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 AM

Had an simple old one in the 96 when I bought it, switched it out to a Tenkosha P3 and it changed my life. Electric brakes on both the trailers I pull. Soooo much smoother, and the boost settings are great.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good brake controllers definitely make a differeence, been looking to upgrade to a P2 or P3 myself. Here's a good site for ya. Brake Controller
Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Emergency Services

I just upgraded from a tekonsha envoy to a p3 and its very nice. Nothing wrong with the envoy, it just doesn't play very well with the electric over hydraulic brakes on one of my new trailers. Its actually for sale in the interior section..just fyi
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My truck has the factory installed trailer brake, it works better than the tekonsha i used to have & it does not stick out where my knee will hit it. Ford got it right with this set-up.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got the P3 in mine, love it. I don't have much expierence with other models since this is the first I have owned, but i read lots of positive things about it so I went ahead and got it. I don't regret the purchase one bit, and the boost setting are nice. I like that I can turn up the boost on the brakes when my dads 4500lb car is locked inside my trailer, makes stopping very smooth.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow... lots of love for a Tekonsha. I'll have to look at those. And DDBCK, that apparently wasn't an option in 2004.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 AM

Great info

Found this thread searching for controllers, but I have a REALLY dumb newb question...figured here is as good a place to ask it as any.

I towed a 2,300 pound car hauler saturday with electric brakes about 80 miles to pick up a CJ-5 project for a buddy. We loaded the CJ on the trailer. Now my estimates based on the CJ's I've owned in the past put this one (factory axles, 33" tires" no lift, nothign odd) at ABOUT 3,000 pounds.

Couple that with the trailer, and we're talking a load of about +/-5,500 pounds. But when loaded up the truck acted like there was not a THING behind it.

Now my truck is a 2005 F350 DRW with the pocket where the Aux/controller option would normally go, and I don't have an visible signs of a controller ever being mounted in the cab.

Bought the truck from a dealer who couldn't verify if it had one installed, and it's got a turnover gooseneck hitch in the bed as well as the rear towing hitch and 7 pin plug.

My question is: Does the 2005-newer F350's come with an integrated controller? That maybe isn't adjustible?

Is there a common sense way of finding out if I have a controller that just can't be seen, that I'm maybe missing?

Can you check voltage on the 7-pin and see if there is electrical going to what would be the trailer brakes?

Again...sorry for the ignorance. But I'm TRYING to educate myself here.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hi Troy, If it ever had the controller, it would have a different brake booster on it and the PCM would have programming to allow it to communicate with the brake booster and the brake controller. I'm sure that there is a visible way to tell the difference on the brake booster, but the dealer would have to be able to look at the PCM to verify the programming. My guess would be that it never had the brake controller.

PS. I have looked at upgrading to the integrated brake controller and the cost of components and hassle has kept me from pursuing it any further.

Finally, I am running the Prodigy (P1) in my wife's Dodge and just upgraded to the P3 from the P1 in my truck and it is the only way to go for an aftermarket brake controller.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks so much!

I'm looking at the P3 after this thread and many other controller threads.

Another kinda dumb question (I think) is: If I buy a P3, is it simply plug and play? And bam...now I have trailer brake control?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.