Have Reverse, will not move forward - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
What a Powerstroke is for, Towing and Hauling FAQs, How To's, What do you pull, 5ers

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have Reverse, will not move forward

I am curious if anyone has ever had the trouble I am having with my 1999 F350 trans or if anyone has any suggestions.

After pullin a 20000 lb gooseneck load for two hours on the expressway with no trouble other than the truck seemed hessitant at times to grab fourth or make complete lock up, the truck had oil comin out of the trans and had only reverse. The trama though of the oil was only present after the load was unloaded and the truck had sat shut off for a half hour. It was not until I started it and pulled ahead to straighten the rig out and then back up to face the road to leave that suddenly we had a puddle of oil and no forward go. I do know that I would have needed oil to move forward no doubt. But is there maybe some connection between the trans struggling to fully lock up when I was driving and it suddenly dumpin oil?

Any thoughts would be kindly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I first got my truck, my dad and brother used it to bring a load of material from Atlanta to St. Louis on a gooseneck. The load was probably around 15,000 pounds, which put a lot of stress on the original tranny. They got it home, parked in the yard where it goes, with the normal backing up and pulling forward. Literally as soon as the trailer was unhooked from the truck, it would not go into drive any more. Reverse was not a problem, but the only way it went forward was with the rpm at about 2,500, and then it crawled. It needed rebuilt. The company payed for it.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to upgrade the trans cooler.
They had problems with overheating that year.
Hopefully you didn't do any internal damage.

FORD: 1999-2000 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
2000 EXCURSION

This article applies only to 1999-2000 Super Duty F-Series vehicles equipped with a 6.8L or 7.3L engine built 1/5/1998 through 2/6/2000, and 2000 model Excursion vehicles equipped with a 6.8L or 7.3L engine built 7/1/1999 through 2/6/2000.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles, equipped with 4R100 transmissions, built prior to 2/6/2000 may benefit from additional cooling during heavy duty use conditions (i.e., snow plowing, towing, carrying heavy loads.) A revised transmission Fluid Filter/Cooling Kit has been developed to aid in fluid cooling.

ACTION:
Replace radiator, cooler lines, and hoses for transmission fluid cooling system with current level parts on vehicles built prior to 2/6/2000, ONLY WHEN transmission hardware confirms customer condition of inadequate transmission cooling. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If vehicle requires service, repair any transmission damage as required.

If inadequate transmission cooling is suspect:

Replace radiator, cooler lines, and hoses with current level parts. The radiator has an internal transmission fluid cooler.
For removal, refer to appropriate model/year Workshop Manual.
For installation, follow procedures listed in the appropriate model 2001 Workshop Manual.
Once the transmission fluid cooling system has been updated, install the Transmission In-Line Filter Kit (XC3Z-7B155-AA) per TSB 00-23-10. Follow the instructions included with the filter service kit.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
YC3Z-7N291-AA Clip - Transmission Oil Cooler
YC3Z-7R081-AA Hose Assembly
YC3Z-7A031-AA Tube Assembly
YC3Z-7A031-CA Tube Assembly
YC3Z-8005-BA Radiator Assembly
XC3Z-7B155-AA Filter Kit - Transmission In-Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.