California Smog Test Experiences - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
West Coast Strokers California Chapter Area

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
California Smog Test Experiences

I've had quite a few questions about the CA smog check following the PITA I went through to have my 01 smogged and decided to start this thread.

Please post about your Ca smog experience - did you pass/not pass. Reasons you did not pass or what issues you had. If you passed fine - what did you notice they checked or did the tech give you any info that may be useful to others.

Do NOT post the shop where you did your smog check, only the city you are from. Some members may want to PM you based on your experiences and we would not want to publicize any info either way on smog shop locations.

Also, I have read countless claims about exhaust/intakes not being able to affect the smog shops decision, however NOBODY has ever been able to produce official documentation from CARB or DMV stating so...if you come across legitimate info, not simply what you believe, please post it here and the source you obtained it from.

I had my 2001 psd smogged in Modesto, CA. I had a 6637 filter on which they did not question at all. They failed me for having a tapped and plugged hole just after my 6637 in the 45 degree elbow. They said despite the fact that there was nothing that would contribute to its emissions, it is considered a "modified intake". What gets me is the 6637 was a legitimate modified intake, the plugged hole in the elbow was just to fill a hole but after I borrowed a buddys elbow, they passed it no problem. I also had a fully welded aftermarket 4" turbo back exhaust with no cat. The truck was originally from Oklahoma and did not require a cat.

Hope people from CA can contribute and shed some light on what smog shops are doing around the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I passed. I'm in the south san jose area. It was a visual, they had the hood open pretty much the whole time. 20mins or so. I stood by the whole time. I didn't get a look at what they were doing under the hood I was on the phone for a portion of the time. I'm sure looking for egr valve, he also looked under for a cat converter, it was there. I didn't ask if they looked for an egr cooler, wish I would have. They didn't hook anything up to my obd2 and they didn't stick anything inside the tail pipe. They didn't turn the truck on either, strictly a visual. Paid'em $60 cash.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 AM

Passed no problems.

I have a blurb about it here:
Diesel Therapy: Guide to CA Smog
Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

idaho resident in military stationed in Fairfield ca

2004 f350 bone stock other then lift at time of smog but he didn't pop hood, just looked for a check engine light and made sure i had a cat. then i did 2 or 3 throttle snap test and was gone like 20min.

heavily modded now but according to my research i will pass so i'll let ya know asap. the base makes us smog for base stickers if you have out of state plates but theres chance it will go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.