Ways to improve the perception of the diesel community - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Website Comments, Suggestions and Announcements Any Website Related comments go here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 AM
The Lady Mod

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Ways to improve the perception of the diesel community

After the events that occured in Bowling Green, KY and at other diesel events, it has gotten to the point that if we do not do something to change the way our community behaves then we will lose the ability to have these events. I have begun contacting staff members from diesel sites regarding setting up a summit meeting on how we can help control this type of behavior. This is not limited to a specific make of truck, it goes across the board. Every staff member that I have contacted has been very receptive and supportive of the idea of getting together and trying to find a solution to this problem. As we found out this past weekend, it only took a few people to ruin things for everyone and cause major problems! We as a whole have got to band together and take a long hard look at ourselves and how we conduct ourselves at these events. We all like to go and have a good time. We all drive big trucks that smoke and go fast. There is a time and place for such things, not from stop light to stop light and in every parking lot. I know there are a lot of adult beverages consumed and I have no issue with that. The thing we must do is act like the responsible people that we are or we should be! I am looking forward to being able to get together with the staff members from all of the other diesel sites, because at the end of the day, we are all truck owners. We all like the same things, our diesel trucks, no matter what the brand.

This will not turn into a rant thread. If you have ideas on what we can do to help improve this situation, please share your ideas. I want this to stay constructive not destructive please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 02:33 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

I wasn't there, but I have read and heard about some of the problems. I guess this will be a lot like the perception folks had (have) of motorcycle riders. I remember many years ago how strange it seemed to me that they were not all "hell's angels" and actually raised money for the needy and collected toys for kids. It may be quite a while before we will be able to change the public's opinion even if we started behaving" immediately. We have our work cut out for us.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

I don't know of the incidnets granny talks about but....

i think granny hit the nail on the head with "there's a time and place for such things". I've seen many threads with folks asking "how can i make my truck smoke?" or "where do i get a smoke tune?".
We have to remember that no everybody likes/appreciates/understands what the smoke is all about. And they truly don't understand the power that these things can make. They just don't understand the hobbyist/enthusiast part of our trucks. To them it's blowing dirt. -and they aren't completely wrong.

If hopped up gassers blew visible smoke/pollutants, they'd be all over them too but, unfortunately, diesels blow the visible dirt and we're easy to single out.

I've been in similar situations before whether it be dirt bikes or jet skis where residents just don't like them and fight like hell to rid them from existance.

You have to keep a low profile, understand what the complainers are complaining about and try no to generate complaints.

sure it's a (somewhat) free conuntry and all that but, it's a free country for them to ***** about anything they want.

limit the *****able situations and things quiet down.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:05 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Well said Granny, I would sure hate to see my diesel addiction crumble because a few can play nice and cause problems.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, To be honest, and I may get burned here, but maybe a talk and agreement among the custom tuners to not offer a smoke tune. These things smoke good enough in any of the tunes, a smoke tune really isn't that necessary IMHO. Hell, my buddy with an edge smokes enough in their setting, I'm sure expecting to get plenty of smoke out of the street/race files on a custom chip.

Plus, all the smoke tune is is a whole lotta wasted money in fuel, and a position on a 6 position switch that you can't put something more useful on there. (thinking like a 7.3 owner)

Of course, this wont fix the problem any, but maybe just one aspect to curb it. Of course this will only curb us ford guys, the rest will still be able to do it easily.

Then again, some of the trucks need all that fuel to make all that power, so it may just be a shot in the dark.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just think that the people that are acting the fool need to be cracked down more on. No mercy. Ban them from events. Call the man on them! I am sure that no one from the TS event can say they would have minded seeing the dumb kids tearing up the fields and such being hauled off by Johnny Law.

I guess I am saying maybe we could get more support from the local law enforcement.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
I just think that the people that are acting the fool need to be cracked down more on. No mercy. Ban them from events. Call the man on them! I am sure that no one from the TS event can say they would have minded seeing the dumb kids tearing up the fields and such being hauled off by Johnny Law.

I guess I am saying maybe we could get more support from the local law enforcement.
I agree with this. There are always goona be a few bad apples in a bunch this large...just gotta prune em out.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ford_trck
I'm subscribing,
Has anyone talked to the owners of TS and start a donation for the damages done at the event?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:21 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_trck View Post
I'm subscribing,
Has anyone talked to the owners of TS and start a donation for the damages done at the event?
This has already been brought up and I believe they didn't want to do it. They just ask that folks continue to support Dennis and Shelia Perry they way that folks have supported them in the past. I saw a post on CompD about this the other day.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:27 AM
wriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post

i would have to say that i also agre with this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.