Massive ammounts of banning going on... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Website Comments, Suggestions and Announcements Any Website Related comments go here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Massive ammounts of banning going on...

I am by no means trying to start anything, but I see a trend going on in the last few months over here, both in the 7.3 area and the 6.0 area.

We all have many different opinions, and different ways of expressing them. Sometimes this goes against the personal ways a particular mod would post something up, or it goes against a way a mod would like to see a particular vendor represented.

Myself of all people has learned this lesson over the years.

However banning people, some with over 6 years, 12k posts on this very forum (you know, the guys who made the forum, let it grow and be bought for large amounts of money) have been banned. Most permanently.

I am asking for an admin to look into these banning, review the productive posts of these members and reconsider.

A permanent ban gains you nothing. You loose a productive member, you loose respect of all his or her friends and it causes friction. If someone needs a cooling off period then so be it... I have been banned for weeks, months, hell even a year from FTE... All because of something I felt so right in posting that I would not give it up.

Please don't lock or delete this thread, lets start the conversation about this and bring back some very helpful posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I will agree with you on this

Banning everyone will just kill this forum (especially perma banning)

I do understand when a person REALLY crosses the line...but not for just expressing his (maybe stubborn opinion) we all have those days

Doesn't mean to cut them off completely
Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Retired Army

I agree with both above but people accusing mods and members of doing whatever without all the facts is total crap and everyone knows it. Some people should stay out of the fight instead of just adding BS comments to stir the crap up.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum4 View Post
I agree with both above but people accusing mods and members of doing whatever without all the facts is total crap and everyone knows it. Some people should stay out of the fight instead of just adding BS comments to stir the crap up.

Whooo wait a minute, I am not stiring the pot what so ever... I am a mod on another diesel forum, and I can tell you in the last 4 years we have banned less then 6 people... Other then spammers.

Just dont see the need to ban everyone if you can have a simple conversation via PM's or something to that effect.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 AM

Coming from a different perspective (cumminsforum), this website is a bit more hostile. People are just less likely to give ground and more likely to call you a fag or something because you have a different perspective. I don't really care, I can handle my own and do get a huge kick out of it usually, but it is a different environment over here that I have not seen in a few of the other places around the net.

The thing that killed me about PS.org was having a post edited for, let's say "mature content", in the HOTTEST WOMEN thread. Personally, I didn't think it was that bad of a comment, as I am capable of much worse given the topic. The reason was that this is a family site. The irony was incredible.

There is some really useful stuff here, and PS.org seems to have more traffic in the 6.7 section, so that's why I'm here. I can't speak to the of banning people, but to be honest, I can see why it's higher than other places. One thing to keep in mind, this isn't the only site out there. If this is your thing, there's a multitude of websites out there to be a part of. When one site starts to falter and become to rigid, you start to see the inevitable migration elsewhere. Happens all the time. This is still a good site though.

Last edited by jeffc; 03-27-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
Coming from a different perspective (cumminsforum), this website is a bit more hostile. People are just less likely to give ground and more likely to call you a fag or something because you have a different perspective. I don't really care, I can handle my own and do get a huge kick out of it usually, but it is a different environment over here that I have not seen in a few of the other places around the net.

The thing that killed me about PS.org was having a post edited for, let's say "mature content", in the HOTTEST WOMEN thread. Personally, I didn't think it was that bad of a comment, as I am capable of much worse given the topic. The reason was that this is a family site. The irony was incredible.

There is some really useful stuff here, and PS.org seems to have more traffic in the 6.7 section, so that's why I'm here. I can't speak to the of banning people, but to be honest, I can see why it's higher than other places. One thing to keep in mind, this isn't the only site out there. If this is your thing, there's a multitude of websites out there to be a part of. When one site starts to falter and become to rigid, you start to see the inevitable migration elsewhere. Happens all the time.
Good post...

I've been a member here for a long time, I've been a member of just about every powerstroke site out there and they all come and go. This one has just taken a turn in the last 6-9 months that saddens me.

I do believe there is some work being done to improve it, I know there have been some issues over the last year on the forum I am a moderator on... Bad economy causes these things to come second, third, fifth or twentieth in most moderators lives.

Just hate to see guys that have been around for a long time, with hugely popular and quality posts get banned.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Whooo wait a minute, I am not stiring the pot what so ever... I am a mod on another diesel forum, and I can tell you in the last 4 years we have banned less then 6 people... Other then spammers.

Just dont see the need to ban everyone if you can have a simple conversation via PM's or something to that effect.
CSIPSD that comment was not directed toward you. It was meant for those that just jump on the band wagon without knowing enough of what is going on. Again no directed toward you.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The knowledge on this site is what brings so many people here and it keeps them here. If you start throwing away people that have built "your" site with knowledge, and the sole reason other's click through page after page, then you'll eventually be left with nothing.

I do agree that people do get out of hand and need some time off here and there, but permanently banning someone that has helped to shape this site is not wise. Pride needs to be swallowed sometimes.

There are a couple PSD sites that are growing very quickly due to some of these changes.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 AM

this is the natural evolution of all commercial forums

good, bad, or otherwise, Autoguide bought and owns the site and it will be run the way they want it run.

seen it many times
Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Yes, Autoguide did purchase this site, and they have made some changes to the business side of it's operation to fit with their model, however, other than some new additions the staff of this site has not changed, nor has Autoguide given us instructions on how to run this site on a day to day basis.

CSIPSD hit on some very good points. Not only has the staff felt some impact due to the economy, and other reasons, but so have the members. Peoples tempers are a little shorter, it's a little easier to make biting comments.

The staff does recognize that this has become a problem, and that we have inadvertantly gotten away from some of the practices we once used to help grow this into what we consider the premier site for powerstroke information.

We are actively working to correct this, and to return to a situation that maintains this as a family friendly, informative resource for powerstroke enthusiasts. We have every confidence that we will be able to do this.

There are many things under review at the moment, what changes, or reversals of decisions may or may not be made are not known at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.