Thanks for the Invite! Knock and Mechanic question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the Invite! Knock and Mechanic question

Hello,
Thanks to Supercrutyps for pointing out the local west coast thread! I live in Lake Tahoe (Tahoma) and bought a 96 f250 7.3 4x4 extra cab. It has 172000 and runs great. I got it from the orginal owner who bought it in Sacramento. He lived in Reno, Nv and seemed to maintain it very well. He always brought it to TNT diesel in Sparks, Nv. When I bought it I had them check it out and besides needing u joints, they said it was in tip top shape. He had done all the necessary replacing and maintenance. New Tranny, New glow plug harness, relay, etc... After driving it about a week I noticed a rythmic knocking when in gear at a stop. Once I put it in neutral or step on the gas with the brake on, it goes away. It also only happens after the truck has ran for about ten minutes or so. The truck idles smooth, has great power with no smoke out the exhaust, and around the lake I have got as high as 21 mpg out of a tank! I have brought it twice to TNT to have them look at it and they say that it is an injector probably leaking fuel and the knock I hear is really a pop. They say not to worry and just keep driving it. I'm not 100% convinced as I can hear the knock at low rpms when moving as well. It goes away at certain rpms and and cruising speed. Could it be a thrust bearing? If so will driving it till it goes be really bad? I'm a do it yourself kind of guy, but new to diesels and really want a reliable truck. I have a cabover and a small enclosed trailer that I'm aching to get out on the road with this fall for some fun. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas, and or know of a good trustworthy mechanic in the area? Thanks very much! Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Matt - Glad you found your way over here!

There is a member in South Lake Tahoe, Tahoeguy. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/mem...-tahoeguy.html

He might know of a place up there that could help. You may need to PM him. He hasn't real active, but it's worth a shot.

Only other suggestion would be doing a Google search for shops in the Truckee area, North or South shore. I left the name of the shop I use down here in the other thread, but that's a drive for you.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

welcome aboard. I think your likely the only Tahoe member so far. Not many nor cal people, me I'm 50% oregon and 50% norcal. sacto
Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to korg70kbc
contact m-chan here on the org, he's a great mechanic & can probably help u
Old 08-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its an Injector see if this place can do Injector contribution and balance test. If they dont know what you are talking about just turn around and walk away peacefully...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 PM
...kind of looks homeless

^^^ I would also recommend an injector buzz test and a cylinder contribution test. Everything sounds like a bent push rod to me but the fact that it goes away under certain rpms. Good luck and welcome to WCS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.