Exaust (CART) question for the Cali folk - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exaust (CAT) question for the Cali folk

So this morning I installed my Mbrp 4" turbo back. It's the kit the re-uses the CAT.
The sound is pretty good, and my egt's did drop a little. About 75-100*. With the kit I also ordered the CAT test pipe. I didn't put it on because I'm a little worried about having it on abd getting poped with it some how.

My question is how many of you are running without CAT's? Is it worth the trouble? I would really like to run it with out the CAT I'm just a little unsure.

Last edited by cj1026; 07-30-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You'll need the cat installed when you go in for your silly diesel smog test. Once you've passed the smog, take the cat out and put your test pipe in. Reverse procedure in two years when it is time for the smog test again.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

I want to buy a "test Pipe" for my 97 OBS PSD so i can remove the CAT. Since this truck passed DMV inspection when it came from Montana, i do not see the need for my cat. DMV missed the label stating it was not Cali, and i was not going to be helpful.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohsp4u View Post
I want to buy a "test Pipe" for my 97 OBS PSD so i can remove the CAT. Since this truck passed DMV inspection when it came from Montana, i do not see the need for my cat. DMV missed the label stating it was not Cali, and i was not going to be helpful.
They didn't look at mine either when I had the inspection done, mine was from Texas, they will get you when the registration comes around though.

Smog guys will look at the valve cover and/or the underhood decal that has that info on it. Keep your old stuff just in case.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i have a diamond eye 5" turbo back, i simply gutted my cat and chopped it back until i could slide my 5" pipe through it and welded it on both sides so it looks like the cat is there but not in reality. just went through smog testing passed with flying colors and no questions asked
Old 04-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprksonu View Post
i have a diamond eye 5" turbo back, i simply gutted my cat and chopped it back until i could slide my 5" pipe through it and welded it on both sides so it looks like the cat is there but not in reality. just went through smog testing passed with flying colors and no questions asked
That's my plan when I swap my exhaust too, much better than the empty cat causing turbulance.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho669 View Post
They didn't look at mine either when I had the inspection done, mine was from Texas, they will get you when the registration comes around though.

Smog guys will look at the valve cover and/or the underhood decal that has that info on it. Keep your old stuff just in case.
Not really sure what you mean when you say they will get me at registration. They will not see my truck, i do not need smog check, its a 97. If smog ever happens, i am most likely not going to pass, i will keep the cat but the injectors and glow plugs are factory.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Not really sure what you mean when you say they will get me at registration. They will not see my truck, i do not need smog check, its a 97. If smog ever happens, i am most likely not going to pass, i will keep the cat but the injectors and glow plugs are factory.
We've had smog requests for 97's at the shop from time to time, just saying.

DMV never has it's act together but will try to screw you over even though the law is printed lol!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho669 View Post
We've had smog requests for 97's at the shop from time to time, just saying.

DMV never has it's act together but will try to screw you over even though the law is printed lol!
Request from the driver for their purpose or DMV request? You are making me nervous. LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Request from the driver for their purpose or DMV request? You are making me nervous. LOL
Both were requested by owner for title transfer as per DMV instruction IIRC, both went to the smog shop and they said they sent DMV the info saying it didn't need smogged.

I wouldn't sweat it though since you're golden there, it's the rest of us poor saps that have to get crafty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.