Just finished up the silly SMOG check - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just finished up the silly SMOG check

What a joke!

A few days ago, I reinstalled and reconnected the air intake heater (AIH). Uninstalled my Superchips programmer (didn't need to because it has an CARB exemption letter) but I didn't want to give anyone a chance to make a stink about it. Had to take it for a drive and run it thru a series of "events" to reset all the OBD-II tests. (I have the list of things you need to do to force the OBD-II to run the self tests in case you've recently cleared your codes and need to go in for a smog)

Took it in this AM, got an A+ and a smiley face on the smog check, the test facility and the State of CA got $46.85.

I had to chuckle a bit while watching the Snap-idle test....the drive thru shop doors were wide open, the back of the truck was outside of the doors and the there was a nice breeze blowing thru the building. So much for having a white background and no moving air while watching for excessive smoke.

Drove her back home, removed the AIH, reinstalled the Superchips program, and life is good. Hopefully by the time the smog is due again in 2013, I will be living in some other state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Duper Duty

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
thats weird when I brought mine in they didnt snap test it, just obd scan
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM

I love my 97.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nice, I had a local shop bend over backwards finding a cat and whether or not I needed one being a cali motor and fed. chassis. Ended up needing the cat and was quoted over 2 grand then installation. Found this place and a nice member to purchase a cat for cheap. Welded it in and paid my $40 to pass. I laughed at the snap test too, because there was no smoke what so ever where if I had my chip in it would have smoked out the warehouse. Now I need new clean tunes and maybe a stealth and ingectors.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Did mine a week ago Saturday. I guess I expected more 'testing.' The guy crawled up into the engine bay and looked at all kinds of stuff, wrote down the CARB EO number for my K&N FIPK, hooked up the OBD-II cable and only did two snaps. No smoke. Unhooks it, takes the truck out of the test bay, goes back into the shop to 'do the paper-work'. I see him throw up his hands.....hit the reset button because the computer froze. He had to go get the truck, bring it back in to hook up the OBD-II cable so his computer could talk to my computer. He had to re-enter all the data to get my out the door.

I have a Cali truck and it has a sticker under the hood saying it's a non-catalyst truck.

Really it seemed like just a way to get more money from me for stuff. It certainly doesn't change any actual emissions. BUT...hey it's done for two years.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wonder why he wrote the intake eo number down, since all intakes are exempt according to the carb board.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 AM

it cost you under 50 bucks? thats cheap it cost me 60 for the testing and 140 for the sticker, plus i have to pass a visual inspection, and obII test and the snap throttle test. i know utah cant have stricter emmissions than cali!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent70 View Post
I wonder why he wrote the intake eo number down, since all intakes are exempt according to the carb board.
Interesting - I'm guessing it's part of the procedure. Maybe the procedures haven't been modified yet.

I'll have to check out the CARB EO page. Haven't been there in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooter View Post
it cost you under 50 bucks? thats cheap it cost me 60 for the testing and 140 for the sticker, plus i have to pass a visual inspection, and obII test and the snap throttle test. i know utah cant have stricter emmissions than cali!
I paid a total of $58. $49 and change for testing and $8 for the certificate, which is electronically transmitted to DMV. Here, we don't have to have a physical sticker on the truck other than the tags on the plate. I thought I was being taken, but man $200 for basically the same stuff??? Geez Louise!

The thing that does get me is....all of this testing on diesel vehicles, but it doesn't affect emissions at all. I just think they are trying to reduce the number of 'smoking' vehicles so it is perceived that the air is cleaner.

Last edited by SuperCrutyPS; 06-29-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 PM

yeah the 140 is for the sticker that goes on the plate. we dont have window stickers here either. i did the roadrunner the other week and it cost me the same for the inspections and like 30 bucks for the sticker so idkwtf
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Okay - My DMV fee was $372, most of which has to do with the weight fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.