Please help with crazy laws - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Please help with crazy laws

Im active duty military, and have truck in sig. I just was informed, then looked online about the VA laws. to include the fact, even with out of state plates, as I am allowed to keep on active duty, I will still be subject to a "safety inspection" that will be required to drive in VA. Is that true? do they enforce bumper heights and tint? Any laws about how much the tires stick out? And emissions test are not required as part of this safety inspection right? So keeping out of state plates, i should not have to pass emissions tests? Please advices, thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I believe if your vehicle is registered and tagged for another state, you shouldn't have to worry about it. There are a handful of cities in Va that emissions test, but they're primarily Midwest.

I'll check a few cars when I go out to the parking lot today and try to ask a few sailors what the deal is. I work at a shipyard so they're are plenty of military guys.

I haven't been messed with about my truck yet. The tires stick out a few inches and I'm at 6" with 37's. They are strict on tint laws, depending on the cop, but it's just the front windows. However there are a ton of trucks rolling around the tidewater area similar to yours. Usually to get popped for something minor, you'd have to attract more serious attention first.

Where are you being stationed?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skew12 View Post
I believe if your vehicle is registered and tagged for another state, you shouldn't have to worry about it. There are a handful of cities in Va that emissions test, but they're primarily Midwest.

I'll check a few cars when I go out to the parking lot today and try to ask a few sailors what the deal is. I work at a shipyard so they're are plenty of military guys.

I haven't been messed with about my truck yet. The tires stick out a few inches and I'm at 6" with 37's. They are strict on tint laws, depending on the cop, but it's just the front windows. However there are a ton of trucks rolling around the tidewater area similar to yours. Usually to get popped for something minor, you'd have to attract more serious attention first.

Where are you being stationed?
thanks for the reply. Im working in WA DC, so just 20 miles west in VA is where ill be living.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It falls under who is on the title. IF you are on it alone then you are fine. VA tries to force you into the Communistwealth if your spouse is on the title.

There was some recent changes that will allow your spouse to retain their current state residency. So your whole family should be able to retain their current state DL/ID without penalty.

Safety inspections are only required for VA plated/registered vehicles. Bumper height, tires sticking out and tint "could" be an issue but with out of state plates, military ID, orders you should be fine.

If you need more help just PM me.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Don't you worry about it

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A safety inspection is the same thing we have in NC and all they do is check the head lights, turn signals, and inspect your tires and what not.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 AM
N.S.D.Q.

It's a full blown inspection here....TRUST me you will get hammered by the stupids here for that truck.

Here's some info: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv206.pdf

Scroll down to Chapter 70: http://lis.virginia.gov/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM.HTM#C0070

I HIGHLY suggest you save the above link. This is the actual inspection procedures to be used. ANY state vehicle inspection station is to follow this procedure. IF you have any issue with an inspection station just call a State Trooper to come by and investigate the issue you are arguing.

Last edited by HeavyAssault; 05-12-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 AM
N.S.D.Q.

From the VA inspection for the tires:

"NOTE: Refer to subdivision 1 of 19VAC30-70-180 (Clearance lamps and reflectors) for tires that exceed more than four inches from the body."

19VAC30-70-180. Clearance lamps and reflectors.
Inspect for and reject if:
1. Any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer or other vehicle is not equipped with clearance lamps if the vehicle is over seven feet wide or if any portion extends four inches or more outside the front fender line.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM

thanks for the words Heavy, I will be in VA the first week in July, So I am hoping with Alaska Plates I can avoid the inspection. If not I will probably not drive the truck much. Its a two year tour at the pentagon, and I don't think I will be able to get out much. If they hassle me about the truck, I will resort to not driving it much for couple years I guess, not going to start changing the truck
Old 05-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wouldn't think about changing the truck, but its not the inspection stations that will hammer you for bumper heights, and tint. The SP sure will though, I have a 10" lift on 40s and get pulled at least once a month, granted my bumper heights are barely at the legal limit. Some cities in VA are very lenient on inspections, especially where I currently reside.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Hey I'm at ft belvoir and It states that anyone residing in va active duty or not must have va plates.... However I said fu** that chit I still have my Ohio plates and no one has bothered me yet I think you will be ok. Just dont roll coal on cops or do stupid stuff they seem to Chase after the BMW and other cars that drive like idiots and attract a ton of attention

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.