2 questions about VA laws - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2 questions about VA laws

1st question.... Are stacks on a 08-up truck illegal to the point they will pull me for it? 2nd question... does VA inspection look for the DPF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to eric.davis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09monster View Post
1st question.... Are stacks on a 08-up truck illegal to the point they will pull me for it? 2nd question... does VA inspection look for the DPF?
Stacks are legal. I've had mine on for over a year now. And as far as DPF not sure because I put mine back on the last time just incase. But this next time I wont and if they fail me then I'll just put it on and go get it inspected again. Where at in Va are you?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:00 AM
Lt. Negativity

Really depends where you live, best to find out at your local inspection shop in your county.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah if you are down in my area...I GUARANTEE you will get a ticket for stacks... there are 3 or 4 different laws for exhaust in VA.. If the cops want to be asses (like the ones around me) they can give you an exhaust ticket on any exhaust if it isn't stock.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhrecovery View Post
yeah if you are down in my area...I GUARANTEE you will get a ticket for stacks... there are 3 or 4 different laws for exhaust in VA.. If the cops want to be asses (like the ones around me) they can give you an exhaust ticket on any exhaust if it isn't stock.
yup what he said, most states can give you a ticket for anything that isn't stock. it sort of depends on how the cop wants to be, i know in highland county where i grew up, they love to write exhaust tickets...to locals. now that i'm not registered in that county, i've been pulled twice, but let go with warnings.

it also can depend on how 'unnecessarily loud/obnoxious' you are. if you are minding your own business and making some noise you are less likely to get pulled than if you are seeing how much noise you can make from light to light (at least around here)

now if va ever starts smog checking, thats a whole new set of problems
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to WydOpen
If you get pulled over it really depends on the officer. At an inspection station, it depends on the inspector. I have taken my old Cobra Mustang to inspection stations that passed me without a catalytic converter. I've been pulled over by State Troopers because they thought my lift was illegal (proven otherwise). I recently got nailed for dark tint off I-264, but I've been pulled over in the past and the officers never mentioned anything about my tint.

Link to Safety Inspection criteria.

Link to Virginia Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Rules and Regulations.

Below, I can really only see them failing you for C. 5. because it doesn't discharge to the side or rear.

Infomation from Section 300 relating to exhaust...

19VAC30-70-300. Muffler, exhaust system and trailer venting.

A. Flexible tubing may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

B. Inspection of exhaust system does not concern noise level.

C. Inspect for and reject if:

1. There is any leakage of exhaust gases at any point in the system. Do not reject "built-in" drain holes in muffler or tailpipe.

2. A muffler or catalytic converter has been repaired in any manner. The exhaust pipe may be welded to the muffler or catalytic converter. Holes or cracks in the exhaust line have been repaired with a patch or caulking.

NOTE: If a vehicle is inspected that does not have a muffler, the inspector should explain to the customer that although the vehicle will pass inspection without a muffler, it is a violation of state law for the vehicle to be operated on the highway without it.

NOTE: Nissan has designed an exhaust repair for leak/noise at the front tube for the 2002-03 Nissan Pathfinders. The repair may require the application of a specially designed caulk to the front tube of the exhaust system. Since Nissan has designed the repair for their vehicles and trained Nissan technicians would perform the repair, this would be acceptable and should not be rejected. This exception would not preclude the rejection of exhaust systems repaired in a manner that is not designed or approved by the manufacturer and not performed by trained persons.

3. Tailpipe opening is mashed or pinched.

4. Brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

5. The exhaust system fails to discharge the exhaust to the rear or sides of that part of a property-carrying-vehicle that is designed for and normally used for the driver and passengers and to the rear or sides of the passenger and trunk compartment of passenger vehicles.

D. Trailers and semitrailer venting. Inspection of trailers and semitrailers will include a visual inspection of the venting of cooking or heating appliances to the outside of the trailer or semitrailer to determine if the heating and cooking appliances are adequately vented to the outside to prevent the asphyxiation of occupants of any trailer or semitrailer by the operation of the heating or cooking appliances.

1. Reject the trailer or semitrailer if not equipped with a vent or venting system to the outside.

2. Reject the trailer or semitrailer if there is any complete or partial obstruction of the vent or venting system.

As for a DPF...take it to a station where you think they don't know much about diesels. They probably won't even know to look for the DPF.

Infomation from Section 310 relating to pollution control devices...

19VAC30-70-310. Air pollution control system or device.

A. No motor vehicle registered in this Commonwealth and manufactured for the model year 1973 or for subsequent model years shall be operated on the highways of this Commonwealth unless it is equipped with an air pollution control system or device, or combination of such systems or devices installed in accordance with federal laws and regulations.

B. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit or prevent shop adjustments or replacements of equipment for maintenance or repair or the conversion of engines to low polluting fuels, such as, but not limited to, natural gas or propane, so long as such action does not degrade in any manner or to any degree the anti- pollution capabilities of the vehicle power system.

C. INSPECT FOR AND REJECT IF:

1. The air pollution control system or device on motor vehicles registered in this Commonwealth and manufactured for the model year 1973 or for subsequent model years has been removed or otherwise rendered inoperable. The conversion of an engine to utilize low polluting fuels such as natural gas or propane may result in the removal of some part of the pollution control system; however, if the engine is converted to utilize both low polluting fuels and/or gasoline no part of the pollution control system or device can be removed or otherwise rendered inoperable.

2. Any of the essential parts of the pollution control system or devices on vehicles registered in this Commonwealth and manufactured for the model year 1973 or for subsequent model years have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. This includes any belt, valve, pump, hose line, cap, cannister, catalytic converter and the restrictor in the gasoline tank filler neck on vehicles required to use unleaded fuel.

NOTE: In order to determine if a motor vehicle was originally equipped with emissions control equipment, refer to the vehicle's emissions control information label which is usually located in the engine compartment.

3. The emission control system or device on motor vehicles registered in this Commonwealth and manufactured for the model year 1973 or for subsequent model years is not comparable to that designed for use upon the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment.

Any new or used after market catalytic converter installed on a vehicle after December 31, 1987, shall meet and be installed in accordance with specifications established by the Environmental Protection Agency. A catalytic converter so installed shall be identified with a visible, permanent, non-destructible label or stamp which will identify the manufacturer, vehicle application and month and year of manufacture. The label shall be in accordance with the following format:

a. New converters - N/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ

b. Used converters - U/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ

N - New converter designation

U - Used converter designation

XX - Manufacturer code issued by EPA

YYYY - Numerical designation of vehicle application

ZZZZ - Month and year of manufacture (i.e. - 0188 for January, 1988)
Old 04-29-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhrecovery View Post
Are you in richmond?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09monster View Post
Are you in richmond?
He's in wytheville, near Blacksburg
Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
what abought a straight pipe 7.3l
Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Chapter Director

as a license VA state inspector you can fail for stacks if the inspector is an a$$ and follows the book to every letter. but some inspectors don't care/ dont know enough about diesels to know otherwise/ or they are a ford diesel fan also. you can fail because the book is written to kinda be left to the inspector to make a judgement call on a lot of stuff. but if the truck is equipped with a emission device than it has to have to it to pass inspection. so even in a way you can fail for a bypassed or deleted egr cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.