need some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some help

Ok here is the deal, I bought a 99 250 a few weeks ago. This is my first diesel truck so I dont really know anything except what I have been trying to learn on this site and others. the truck runs good and sounds great to me. I have the stock down pipe that steps up to 3.5 inch and then up to 4 inch ending over the rear axle. I did a DIY intake on it, and am running a superchips micro 1700 on the off road setting. I dont have any gauges yet but will as soon as I can afford to get some. The truck pulls like a freight train untill it gets to about 2800RPm then falls on its face and makes some strange noise to me. I dont know if this is normal and was wondering if there are any local guys or gals in the VA beach/ newport news area that is pretty knowledge d on these trucks that may could give me a hand and tell me what they think. I just dont want to mess anything up. This is the way the truck was setup when I got it except the intake mod and the 4 inch pipe I added to the truck. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd check the fuel filter, but 2800 rpm is turning hard on the 7.3, the superdutys have wastegated turbos too, at that rpm and boost, could be just that, or defueling.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so what your saying is this sounds normal? why does the truck have a 3500 rpm redline if it is only intended t pull to 2800rpm? Is the wastegate set to release at 2800 rpm? remember I am new to diesel trucks so I dont understand it all yet but I am reading and learning
Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

What do u mean strange noise?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Elaborate on the strange noise. Is it like a loud krackle, or like its breaking down or?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM

And when it falls flat does the noise start or does it start when it still is climbing in the rpms
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry been away from the cpu. The sound happens just after it falls flat and upshifts. I am thinking it is the turbo spooling down and I can really hear it cause of the open exhaust. I dont think the turbo is messed up but it could be a early sigh that it may be getting time for a rebuild maybee. The sound is kinda hard to describe kinda a loud whistle with a screeching kinda sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.