Our '05 Amarillo Build (as of 04/12) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Truck Modifications A mods section to show off what you've done to the truck, or make write ups about what you've done.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Ugly Yellow Truck Booster

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Our '05 Amarillo Build (as of 04/12)

Hey all,
This is more or less where I'm going to hang my hat as far as keeping track of mods and documenting them as it seems to be the appropriate place.

TLDR:

In October of 09 my Wife and I purchased an 05 Amarillo as a compromise/work vehicle instead of a frivolous new SS for my pampered butt. It had 53000 and literally was as nice in person as in the ad. The Dealership had the balance of the Factory warranty and I (stupidly) extended. They claimed it had a new windshield and they had done LOF and pressure checked the cooling system for leaks. Funny thing though is that it had an edge juice/attitude in the ad and they sold it to me so equipped. (We're in smog land here)
So thanks to all the helpful folks here on the org I was able to determine in approximately 6 hrs. How badly I was hosed as far as that warranty from Ford goes in regards to what I had purchased. After cold panic had passed I took it to a locally owned shop to get the detailed bill of health which discovered ARP studs for at least one plus but on the negative when I brought it in for LOF myself we discovered NAPA gold filters just as I had suspected and was joking about.
TLDR-
So far it has had a new full bulletproof EGR, oil cooler w/ bypass installed, the aforementioned ARP stuff was redone due to puking up the gaskets again and as far as the future goes I'm planning on a DD regulated return, top mounted coolant bypass and an SCT X3 w/ custom tunes to sort of explore what's there to get feel of where to get to. The edge apparently doesn't tune for trans. and the one I've got is a rev. 4 from right around when the truck was new so outside of power itself it's a bit lacking in customization options. At anywho if anyone cares to chime in I'm all ears, I have learned quite a lot while lurking here and hopefully we'll see some of each other IRL if you folks will have us.

Last edited by Pooks350; 04-11-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
back to business

Sounds like you're on the right track. Ditch the edge ASAP

What gaskets got put in with the studs?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Factory Ford of course. No Black Onyx here..heard a few stories I have.
There's another member here responsible for all the work, but if I'm reading the rules correctly we aren't supposed to mention anyone as far as shops and Vendors goes so I'll keep that to myself unless asked.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
back to business

You can say who did it and if you had a good/bad experiance with the shop. Just DO NOT make it seem like you are advertising for a shop that isn't a site sponsor.

I'd like to know what shop you used...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Fleet Service Northwest in Hubbard. It's where Derek set up the meet back in May/June of '10. They had a tribute truck getting fitted with a set of fold-away steps in the bay, and there was a BBQ out front for everybody. There was another Amarillo(06) there, Isspro was there as well as Carquest and I'm hoping someone else (member) was there as well to refresh my memory.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Rick, sounds like its time to learn how to wrench on the truck yourself!

I love working on these trucks. Sure it gets me pissed off at times, but the stress relief and satisfaction it gives me is incredible!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM

Hey Dieselmatt,
I hear ya. I've done one LOF myself and an alternator of course, matter of economics. But the piece of mind from having it "maintained" by a second set of eyes so to speak is invaluable. I count on this thing to go wherever, whenever and with whoever is driving. This takes IMHO a certain amount of educating yourself on all the vagaries of the 6.0 in particular, and Navistar motors as equipped in Fords in general. Also in our particular case (My Wife and I's) we put in over 60 hrs a week into our own business so time is tight as it were.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM

Speaking of which, I'm off.....night all. See ya around 1 AM or so.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 AM

Well just for giggles I may as well add that since the beastie got back from her oil bypass install and update flash the kenwood head unit took a dive. It was almost 8 yrs old and I knew it was going to go sometime but OUCH those puppies are expensive! 1000.00 bucks basically installed so the only mod in our immediate future is the coolant bypass due to cost. That 1000 was SUPPOSED to pay for my new fuel pump install for our Z, but that will have to wait for another month or so. Oh well working 12 hrs a day 7/week not paying any wages to have a night shift is at least saving me a bit of coin, so hopefully I'll be posting up about our new return/regulator and SCT in a couple of months.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 AM

PMM coolant bypass here. Checked nipple to base with filter and all looks good, machining seems to be fairly smooth and even w/ a minimum of burrs or signs of "expedited" production. As far as anodizing goes, I can live without it as aluminum is sexy enough on it's own when cut from a chunk although of course it will corrode and react with its' environment.
The hoses and shut-offs are as advertised, silicone 5/8's or so to crimped fittings. Blue in color, they make me wish for yellow ones!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.