trans acting up with truck stuck in woods HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 08:13 PM
powerstrokin

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drz400smoto
trans acting up with truck stuck in woods HELP

So last night we had a big bonfire back in the woods behind my parents house in MD and now my transmission is acting up. Had truck in 4-wheel to get back in woods and had to charge this one hill a few times to get up because it was slippery mud and pretty rutted, but I finally made it up. Parked the truck by the fire for music and started it up every now and then to make sure the batteries wouldn't die. Well go back this morning to drive the truck out and batteries were dead, so I swapped batteries with my friends f250 to get it started. Then realized it wasn't going to move. When I put it in drive or reverse the rpm changes slightly but I don't get that surge forward off idle like you normally do. So when I give it gas the rpm's just climb and truck does not move at all.
So could solenoid have gone bad?
Could trans filter have clogged and not allow fluid to move?
Could torque convertor be slipping and not allowing it to hook up?

I beat it pretty hard to get up that hill but the truck still drove fine the rest of the way in the woods after that, so thats why Im thinking I didn't destroy the entire transmission. And when it was parked in the woods I put in drive and reverse a bunch of times just moving a foot or so each direction just messing around and trying to push this small tree over, being drunk didn't help either.
So my truck is stuck back in woods and Im debating paying a tow truck tomorrow to pull me out or see if its anything I can fix back there and drive out.
Only other thing that I have noticed acting weird with truck was last week when I was pulling a trailer through mountains in West Virginia and the really big mountains my truck would get to 10psi making the climbs and there would be a very slight sure in power but still maintained speed with cruise control on.
Thanks allot for the help and or suggestions guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 09:24 PM
powerstrokin

Any ideas here guys?
Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 AM
powerstrokin

bump.......
Old 05-31-2009, 03:43 PM
powerstrokin

any ideas? should I drop pan to see if there's metal everywhere?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Call the tow truck, then drop the pan and look for metal shavings. This sounds an awful lot like snap ring failure/recall that affected the '05 6.0L. Ford only recalled vehicles with the snowplow package because of the increased likelihood of a failure due to frequent forward/reverse shifting when plowing. The rest of us poor saps (myself included) get to buy a new tranny when ours fails for the same reason, simply because we do not have the snowplow package. Google "ford transmission snap ring recall".
Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

heres a bump for you, good luck!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
powerstrokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohelluride View Post
Call the tow truck, then drop the pan and look for metal shavings. This sounds an awful lot like snap ring failure/recall that affected the '05 6.0L. Ford only recalled vehicles with the snowplow package because of the increased likelihood of a failure due to frequent forward/reverse shifting when plowing. The rest of us poor saps (myself included) get to buy a new tranny when ours fails for the same reason, simply because we do not have the snowplow package. Google "ford transmission snap ring recall".
ok thanks
I got the transmission out and it ended up the pump broke the piece thats before the pump seized and so Im assuming no fluid was moving so the truck wasn't moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.