Tranmission leaking from TC access cover - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
Tranmission leaking from TC access cover

Hey guys,

First off about 2 weeks ago, I had been playing around a bit and I got the transmission up to about 190 degrees, stopped for a bite to eat and smelled ATF, so I peek up under the truck and there is a dripitydrippity (almost a solid stream) coming from the TC access cover. Transmission acted normal. Well we come out and I pull around back and check the fluid, and it's on the cold side of the dipstick, even though the truck is running and it's still sitting around 160 degrees, not leaking though. So we drive on, and transmission acted normal, not heating up at all (It usually stays around 170 in normal driving) So anyway, so I didn't top the fluid off, I figured it must have come out of the vent on top of the trans. and may have been overfilled slightly. Well day before yesterday I'm driving and messing around a little bit and I notice i've creeped up to 180 degrees, so I stop and get out and sure enough I have a drip. drip. drip. coming from the access cover again. I check the fluid and it's still on the cold side, but lower. I add a quart of fluid, which dropped the temp to about 165 degrees quite quickly and I drive somemore and stop again and it's not leaking. Check the fluid and it's on the high side of the dipstick. So I hammer on it a little bit more.. and get it back up to about 180, stop and it's leaking again.

I'm at a loss, the transmission has not acted strange at all, aside from a slight slide-bump shift or two when the fluid was at it's lowest, will still bark second gear if I ask it to, has not over heated at all and acts normal all around. Only thing is I notice that it may shift a little early sometimes on 2-3, which may be the DP working it's magic.

Like I said, it's still acting normal, but this is my only vehicle right now and I don't want to risk having to do a major rebuild if it's just the TC or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.