6 speed manual EXPLODED - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 speed manual EXPLODED

I have a 99 PSD with a speed manual trans. I was pulling a car trailer with a car on it that had no engine, so it was a fairly light load. Anyway I was going up a slight hill at 75 mph in 6th gear. It made a small clunk and popped out of gear. I thought nothing of it really and stuck it back in gear and pressed the resume button on the cruise. 2 seconds later BOOM! The truck went into a full slide, jack knifed the trailer and I ended up in the ditch sideways. It locked the back wheels solid even though I had the clutch in. The transmission drove in first gear (not L but the gear labeled 1st) so I limped it to the next town (sturgis, sd ftw!) about 2 miles away at 10 mph. I unhooked the trailer and called a friend. I drove it across the street to the local BK b/c they had wi-fi there while I waited for my buddy. When I tried to pull out of BK, the trans locked again and stalled the engine. It was then stuck in all gears. BTW the tranny would be in 1st no matter where the stick was even in neutral. My buddy, another fellow powerjoker, hooked a chain on it and pulled me. The rear tires were locked and dragged a bit then the tranny broke loose. Now it is stuck in L and drives. I limped it to the service station across the street. It grinds and squeals and won't engage in any gear now. You can drive it in L, but if you try to shift, it just squeals. Clutch works fine. Also, I looked under it and touched the tranny to feel the temp and it was so hot that it burned my finger to the point that it blistered. What the hell happened, and where do I get a replacement tranny? Any aftermarket upgrades for these? Where do I buy one? I have searched the interweb and found nothing. Not even a rebuilt stocker. In light of all of this, I am kind of excited to crack the old one open and see what it looks like. The clutch was slipping a bit before hand and it made a slight howl, slight, when letting off the gas and coasting in 4th (5th is you count low) gear at about 2000 rpm and lower. Mods to the truck are a 75 hp sniper tune and DIY exhaust brake.

Last edited by venom_nitrous; 04-14-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 AM

Oh, btw, still has dealer plates on it
Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check your throwout bearing. That's where the howl was coming from, and if it was jacked, that would have prevented you being able to get the trans fully in gear, leading to failure. I can almost guarantee that the pop you heard to begin with was a tooth coming off of your input shaft, which would have gotten lodged in the rest of the gears and thus locked her up. When you get it open, expect a lot of metal inside, maybe even a cracked case. Don't just visual this one either, get it magnafluxed and be sure. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Official COD, I hit some road debris and bent and broke one of the tranny cooler lines. This caused all of the fluid to be pumped out and subsequent transmission failure. Transmission is nuked and the transfer case is broken in half. Cost to replace at the dealer--$8150
Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 PM

DAMN!
Russell
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look around and I promise you will find everything you need pretty cheap. There is a guy here in Clarksville that has an entire wreck for sale with a manual and he wants way les then that!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:15 PM

That oil pump-external cooler line system is one item in these drive lines that makes me nervous. As you discovered, if those lines leak there's a good chance that your first indication of a problem is going to be when the tranny packs it in. I changed mine as soon as they started to look a little rusty but I've often thought of putting a pressure gauge in the system somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.