Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

dont have anything above second

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  fordsnpaints 
#1 ·
hello everyone, im new but have been looking over every square inch of this site and i still cant find an answer to my problem.if someone could help me i would greatly appeciate it. here it goes, i have a 94 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3 turbo and the e4od tranny. the tranny is shifting from first to second and then it wont shift to the next gear. it has been working good until i took my kids home and the od light started flashing. then i talked to tranny expert and he fixed something in the valve body and said it is the reason it didnt work . no dice it still wont work. help pleeeese

#3 ·
Sorry no one answered your question. I know NOTHING about auto trannys other than what I have had to deal with in my old '87 Pontiac 6000. I had the same problem in the 6000 and it was a burnt tranny. Cost me about $1200 in mid 1998 for the repair. (I guess I should have never done those hundereds of neutral drops.)

#5 ·
Best I could sudgest is goto the dealer and ask them. They should be able to give you a diagnosis better than I. (oohhh yeah. Have you checked the tranny fluid levels?)

#6 ·
i have and all any of them want to do is sell me a new one. not only have i checked the level, but i have pulled the pan 6 times on the request of 3 different so called mechanics, believe me i know what the inside of the pan and the fluid looks like.i can pull the pan faster than any one around after all of that.

#7 ·
hopefully MARC will see your post and have some input. He is one smart guy.

#8 ·
does the speedometer work?

I am new to the powerstroke thing myself, but I've been working in the automotive field for awhile. If the speedometer is not working, it could possibly be the output speed sensor on the trans...if it is working, then it could be the input speed sensor. Both of these sensors use magnest and a tone ring for input to the pcm, and the magnet will sometimes attract too much debris to give a good signal. When either one goes out, it will trigger the trans to stay in 2nd gear to prevent damage, but, without seeing the vehicle, this is still a shot in the dark.

#9 ·
The first thing too check is the codes, Then go from there sounds like a solenoid or sensor problem. how does the fluid look? did it have long slide bump shifts in the past? does it take off in 1st gear or is in in limp mode? DO the reverse lights work, try pulling it too low gear and shifting it I have seen the mpl switch cause some trucks to pull of in 2nd gear or not shift to 2nd gear.

#10 ·
got it

well everyone , i got her fixed and it only cost me $400 and a couple days off of work. dont want to tell you this but i had to take it to a {chevy} dealership for them to hook it up to a computer. got my codes and called my tranny guy. it took a shift kit, new solenoid pack, valve bodies checked and a few hours after work on the lift. now i just have to get the new glow plugs put in and im ready for the snow, and a friends dirtymax. thank you everyone for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.