Transmission flush--now problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission flush--now problems

I own a towing company & need some clarification. We have towed 50-60
E450s with automatic overdrive transmissions. Never a problem until today. We always follow the AAA recommend ways to tow vehicles. The manual says these (1998-2006) can be towed from the front without pulling the drive-shaft but with the tranny in neutral with these limitations: Under 35mph & no more than 50 miles. As this is sooooooooo specific and limited, we've always made sure that only my husband performed these tows. Having said that, we were called today that an E450 that we towed to a Ford dealership for an electrical problem has a fried tranny. This is the 4th fried tranny that the same dealership has dealt with in the past 2 months. The one thing in common is that all 4 E450 had a transmission flush performed by the dealership within 12K of the tranny frying. I will pay for a tranny rebuild if this is our fault ($12-1600+/-) but sure don't want to pay if this is poor workmanship due to the transmission flush. Can any of you give me some feedback on this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
To be honest, I dont know how a transmission flush would cause it to fail.. unless they took it all the way out and didnt line the TC up right, Can you find out on it what failed? also I would never to from the front with the shaft still hooked, because it is spinning the gears in the transmission without any fuild and its not that hard to roll under and pull out a few bolts. but good luck. and Welcome to the forum!!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have not found out yet what failed but I will because it is going to a tranny shop that I have faith in. We have always removed driveshafts when it is recommended but didn't because we trusted our manual. Big mistake? I don't know. Without going through my records I'm guessing we've towed 60 without pulling driveshaft & no problem with the other 59. I just thought it was strange that all 4 just had tranny flushes!!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Pretty much every auto forum I've ever been on (including this one) had people saying trans flushes free up so much junk in the trans that they start cloggin passages, etc. It's been enough to keep me away from them, but no one has ever produced any concrete evidence. Having put 12k miles on them (don't know timeframe) it will be hard to press the dealer even if they did cause it. But, FWIW I don't know how you can screw a trans flush up from poor workmanship. Good luck.

Ben
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to yz837
How many miles? Tranny flushes are only supposed to be done on vehicles under 100k miles
Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I believe it had around 40K on it when flushed. Lasted less than 10K
Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to yz837
Wow thats really unusual. I could see if it was over 100k, but under 100k not so much. Unless it was really beat on?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS View Post
Pretty much every auto forum I've ever been on (including this one) had people saying trans flushes free up so much junk in the trans that they start cloggin passages, etc.
That's an old wive's tale. There is no truth to it at all.

A flush CAN screw up a trans if it isn't done right. If they use the wrong fluid the trans can fail in a couple thousand miles, or less. If they didn't ge the level right, either too much or not enough fluid the trans can die.

But free up junk from the flush, you wouldn't say that if you knew how the flush machines work. That doesn't happen.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The thing with towing drive wheels on the ground, is that the internals of the transmission ( planetary gears, sun gear, shell, etc... ) are still turning without the pump moving.

I think 50 miles may be a little short, but we have built many-o-transmissions that were towed that way. It will cause major damage when it is due to lack of lube.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.