HELP Tranny 911 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP Tranny 911

So I'm in a bind and i will describe this best i can. In drive, from a stop my truck would stutter almost like the brakes were hanging up, but would be fine after first gear or so... I simply thought i needed brakes..

I jut drove the truck from texas to washington hauling my bronco and it did great. Tranny never got above 180, no slipping or nothing. Unhooked the bronco last night, drove away just fine, still with the lurching "sticking brakes" first light i got to was fine and normal, the second one it died, engine bogged down like the converted didnt unlock. Limped it home like this.

This morning, it would run rough in gear for a moment than smooth out, same with leaving or approaching stops, the same "sticking brakes" seemed almost to get better, got on the freeway and BANG something let go, now it wont go in to any gear , just revs as if its in neutral although you can feel that it is slipping against something and "pulls" super slight but more than anything just revs and stays in the same place like neutral

Tranny fluid is full and bright red, not burnt, tranny didnt get hot on the road trip.

Is this my converter? what should i do? I do all my own work, im just not a huge tranny guy

Im in washington for two weeks so any help is very appreciated, i gotta be back to texas after the holidays.

Thanks,
Vance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 12:27 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well if it went bang and you have no gears sounds like the input shaft went? Do you have any gear?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannnce View Post
So I'm in a bind and i will describe this best i can. In drive, from a stop my truck would stutter almost like the brakes were hanging up, but would be fine after first gear or so... I simply thought i needed brakes..

I jut drove the truck from texas to washington hauling my bronco and it did great. Tranny never got above 180, no slipping or nothing. Unhooked the bronco last night, drove away just fine, still with the lurching "sticking brakes" first light i got to was fine and normal, the second one it died, engine bogged down like the converted didnt unlock. Limped it home like this.

This morning, it would run rough in gear for a moment than smooth out, same with leaving or approaching stops, the same "sticking brakes" seemed almost to get better, got on the freeway and BANG something let go, now it wont go in to any gear , just revs as if its in neutral although you can feel that it is slipping against something and "pulls" super slight but more than anything just revs and stays in the same place like neutral

Tranny fluid is full and bright red, not burnt, tranny didnt get hot on the road trip.

Is this my converter? what should i do? I do all my own work, im just not a huge tranny guy

Im in washington for two weeks so any help is very appreciated, i gotta be back to texas after the holidays.

Thanks,
Vance
Vance, can you have someone try to make the truck move while you look underneath it? Honestly, with your fluid being in good shape and what you describe, it sounds more like a possible rear-end problem to me. Verify that the driveline is or isn't moving and lets go from there.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM

10-4 going to walk out there now. Food for thought doing a google search, i think i may have a "chatter" similair to this guy ( thread below)
Is my torque converter failing? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Sounds similiar, sounds like a converter problem that i let go and it went bang from reading that.

BUT im walking out right now to verify the rear end

and thank you for your reply
Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Okay, i went out and checked. Put in reverse/drive/1-2. brother sat in the truck on the throttle while i looked under.

The the driveshaft would not free spin, thus saying its not the rear end. While on the throttle the truck would very slightly roll in the gear direction it was in. like some extremeeeeee slippage but could feel it "grabbing" ever so slightly

ALSO back to the thread i posted as a reference, on my road trip home i did experience some long, harder than firm shifts. but i thought it was because i had a 5k brick behind me... again, no other slippage before or hot temps. it even shifted smooth this morning and last night after i put back in 80dd untill it started messing up

Ran the 2k road trip in 60tow, obviously truck in sig, DP tuned, no complaints with there tunes
Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM

ALSO po said it has a transgo/tugger shift kit in it, and it has mag/hytec tranny pan
Old 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannnce View Post
Okay, i went out and checked. Put in reverse/drive/1-2. brother sat in the truck on the throttle while i looked under.

The the driveshaft would not free spin, thus saying its not the rear end. While on the throttle the truck would very slightly roll in the gear direction it was in. like some extremeeeeee slippage but could feel it "grabbing" ever so slightly

ALSO back to the thread i posted as a reference, on my road trip home i did experience some long, harder than firm shifts. but i thought it was because i had a 5k brick behind me... again, no other slippage before or hot temps. it even shifted smooth this morning and last night after i put back in 80dd untill it started messing up

Ran the 2k road trip in 60tow, obviously truck in sig, DP tuned, no complaints with there tunes
Damn, I was afraid of that. Unfortunately with your short timeline, I'd suggest to call good tranny shop nearby and pick their brain and see. I've never been in a truck and had the TC go out or had to fix one so don't know the symptoms........
Old 12-23-2013, 01:03 PM

Ah damn. well i guess i will have to do that, and see what others have to say. thank you for your help though i appreciate it
Old 12-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Possibly flywheel is broke.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-23-2013, 01:28 PM

i guess ill just pull the tranny and check that beings i will have to regardless it looks like....

to sum this up, ive had the "converter shudder" , towed the last 2000 miles with it over 3 days. torque converter had hard time locking/ unlocking, than bang

I know that no one can give me a for sure answer, but am i looking at a brand new tranny or can i get away with a good flush and new TC if the tranny is okay? again, red oil, not burnt and hasnt gotten

gonna pull the truck in now and pull it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.