Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP Tranny 911

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Vannnce 
#1 ·
So I'm in a bind and i will describe this best i can. In drive, from a stop my truck would stutter almost like the brakes were hanging up, but would be fine after first gear or so... I simply thought i needed brakes..

I jut drove the truck from texas to washington hauling my bronco and it did great. Tranny never got above 180, no slipping or nothing. Unhooked the bronco last night, drove away just fine, still with the lurching "sticking brakes" first light i got to was fine and normal, the second one it died, engine bogged down like the converted didnt unlock. Limped it home like this.

This morning, it would run rough in gear for a moment than smooth out, same with leaving or approaching stops, the same "sticking brakes" seemed almost to get better, got on the freeway and BANG something let go, now it wont go in to any gear , just revs as if its in neutral although you can feel that it is slipping against something and "pulls" super slight but more than anything just revs and stays in the same place like neutral

Tranny fluid is full and bright red, not burnt, tranny didnt get hot on the road trip.

Is this my converter? what should i do? I do all my own work, im just not a huge tranny guy

Im in washington for two weeks so any help is very appreciated, i gotta be back to texas after the holidays.

Thanks,
Vance

See less See more
#3 ·
Vance, can you have someone try to make the truck move while you look underneath it? Honestly, with your fluid being in good shape and what you describe, it sounds more like a possible rear-end problem to me. Verify that the driveline is or isn't moving and lets go from there.

#4 ·
10-4 going to walk out there now. Food for thought doing a google search, i think i may have a "chatter" similair to this guy ( thread below)
Is my torque converter failing? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Sounds similiar, sounds like a converter problem that i let go and it went bang from reading that.

BUT im walking out right now to verify the rear end

and thank you for your reply

#5 ·
Okay, i went out and checked. Put in reverse/drive/1-2. brother sat in the truck on the throttle while i looked under.

The the driveshaft would not free spin, thus saying its not the rear end. While on the throttle the truck would very slightly roll in the gear direction it was in. like some extremeeeeee slippage but could feel it "grabbing" ever so slightly

ALSO back to the thread i posted as a reference, on my road trip home i did experience some long, harder than firm shifts. but i thought it was because i had a 5k brick behind me... again, no other slippage before or hot temps. it even shifted smooth this morning and last night after i put back in 80dd untill it started messing up

Ran the 2k road trip in 60tow, obviously truck in sig, DP tuned, no complaints with there tunes

#6 ·
ALSO po said it has a transgo/tugger shift kit in it, and it has mag/hytec tranny pan

#8 ·
Ah damn. well i guess i will have to do that, and see what others have to say. thank you for your help though i appreciate it

#10 ·
i guess ill just pull the tranny and check that beings i will have to regardless it looks like....

to sum this up, ive had the "converter shudder" , towed the last 2000 miles with it over 3 days. torque converter had hard time locking/ unlocking, than bang

I know that no one can give me a for sure answer, but am i looking at a brand new tranny or can i get away with a good flush and new TC if the tranny is okay? again, red oil, not burnt and hasnt gotten

gonna pull the truck in now and pull it

#12 ·
Well its not the flywheel, it still intact connected to the TC

Heres my tranny plug. how many shavings are too much the fluid looked brand new, not burnt and was full capacity. the shavings were super fine, made a "gel" when touched

What are the chances the tranny is okay?

#13 ·
That looks like a bit of shavings.......a bit over normal IMO. It would help to really see how much there is if you took a razor blade, and scraped off half so we can really see where the shavings end and where the plug begins. Them turning into a "gel" is normal.

Starting to lean toward input shaft......?

#17 ·
everything seemed tight with the cover on? is all i had to do is grab it? Just being held in by two bell housing bolts, will get it out in the morning, and check input shaft

#15 ·
sounds like tc convertor let go or pump went out. if the tranny was slipping a band it would burn the oil. there will always be some shavings collected on the magnet but that looks like quite a bit in the pic.

#16 ·
well the tranny never slipped got hot or anything. i had the tc chatter before this. if it was input shaft wouldnt i feel a metal to metal sound when it has that tiny little bit of grabbing friction in gear?

#18 ·
Hey guys, for those of you tuning in to my tranny troubles, it sat for christmas and got it pulled this morning and here are my results after pulled...

-Fluid drained from tranny seemed new
-Fluid from converter was dark, smelled burnt
-In put shaft not broken
-If i shook the converter it DID NOT sound like a nuts and bolts on a folgers can

i stuck the input shaft in to the converter on the bench and it would not spin, it was locked up

What does all this mean?

I can get a warrantied tranny from ford for 2500, but not so sure about another normal rubuild, but i do need this in a hurry, not even sure if i need a tranny or just the converter

thoughts? thanks guys

#20 ·
What do you think about the ford warrantied tranny? it was much less from the ford than i thought it would be, specially with the warranty. what do you guys think?

And thanks for the morning bump:) I actually went through la grand sunday morning sometime but i hauled ***, filled up in boise and didnt stop till a block from my house when **** hit the fan haha

#22 ·
yeah im just so un sure of what exactly it is or what all the converter took out. they do garuntee it at any ford across the county except leabor charges since i am installing it, but it'll always be like that....

Anyway i think i will just do that. Warranty will have me safe for three years, but i imagine by than ill just have one built

thanks for your help, im too undecided ha. i appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.