Hard Shifting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard Shifting

I have a 2000 F350 7.3....the issue i am having is hard shiftinng......if i drive normal then nothing is ever wrong.....but if i am hard on the acceleration when it shift from 2nd to 3rd the transmission shifts and hits with a HARD HIT just like i was bumped i the back.......the truck had a recall on the cam position indicator which i dont see how an engine part can effect the transmission.....anyone else have any ideas or had the same problem? next step is the transmission shop and i hate that because once they touch it then it will never feel the same....oh adn the mileage on the truck is only 12300 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine does the same thing.It has done it since I have owned it.I wish I could also figure out what is going on with it. I know one day it is going to break something from 2nd to 3rd. I have been told it could be the convertor slipping and the ecm compensates with more line pressure and causes the hard 2-3 shift. Maybe someone will come and help out with this. I cannot run a tuner of any kind that effects transmission pressures as it tries to rip it out of the truck.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Is there any mods done to the truck. Is the o/d light flashing when this happens. It is a problem with the trans. I would suggest having a trans shop run some diagnostic tests on the trans.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM

trans

No mods have been made to engine or transmission. No Over Drive light flashing or comming on at all
Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No codes in mine either. There are no good trans shops that will troubleshoot things like these in my area. They all say you need a new trans! Thats what they do. Thats why I thought I would give my 2cents and hoping there is a trans guy on here. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM

My 1999 7.3 super diesel tranny does the same thing, when I bought it I removed the pan, cleaned, replaced filter, installed a remote filter, drained the torque converter and
added new fluid plus a Lucas transmission treatment. So far it does the same thing, clues
???
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM

I was told by one garage to call Jasper Transmission and ask for the R&D dept and see that they can tell me...will keep you posted
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 AM

In regards to the ultra-hard shifts. In my "need 4 speed" days, I put shift kits in every vechile I owned, and you got that "bang shift" in every gear, and It never did any harm to the tranny, but I would think it is hard on the u-joints. I have found that if I ease off the throttle when it is about to shift it isn't too bad. I hope someone takes theirs in to a "trustable" tranny shop and make a post on the results. It just doesn't bother me enough right now to
have mine scanned, what's kind of strange is that sometimes it shifts perfect.
This is my first diesel "super duty" truck, and I love it almost as much as air !
Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM

I talked with a service tech at Jasper Transmission. He referred me to a local shop who can do the following...install a laptop in the truck and read temps pressure and shift points while they are drivinng the truck. Might not be an internal problem. Will keep you updated as the truck is going to the shop later this week.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Cool Thanks For The Up=Date

I just found out where there is a good PowerStroke Tranny Man, I will get my truck in and will post the results. One thing about electronic controlled anything, they are A++ when they work, and when they don't you better have the correct diag tools to pin-point the problem and a technician that knows how to use them.

Thanks for your info...
MikeyK...NorthFlorida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.