4R100 no 2nd gear! Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 4R100 no 2nd gear! Help!

I have an early 1999 f350 7.3 4X4 with a 4r100 auto trans. Pulled a friend out of mud with truck locked in manual 2nd. First it started shifting late now there is no second gear. Shifts from 1st to 3rd. Have to achieve atleast 20mph or 2300 rpm in first then let your foot off for it to shift to 3rd. Fine in all other gears, however it downshifts to 1st not 2nd. Changed fluid, no metal shavings but there was a good amount of black dust in old fluid, I assume this is friction material off the clutch pack. Could the dust have clogged the shift solenoid or shift valve or did I fry the clutch pack? trans code p0732 2nd gear ratio error

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Almost same issues.
2000 F350 PSD 4R100 59,000mi

2nd seemed to shift harder for the past few weeks.
Today no second at all. Computer shows the shift to 2nd but still in first till about 25mph and then letting off the gas for a second, it will shift to 3rd.

1 - 3 - OD - Reverse seem to work fine. Also now when decelerating I can hear a faint whine, if I shift to N the whine goes away.

This transmission is NOT in the date range for the mechanical diode issue. BD-0F09 - Build Date June 9, 2000. I am lifted with 37" and weigh roughly 8700lbs empty. I am hoping solenoid but fear clutch or gears due to the whine now.

I will be checking oil level and draining the fluid to check for metal or other material.

I was really hoping to get more than 60k from this tranny.

From what I have been reading, it sounds like I need to call Brian.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Not Good news for me!

Here is a pic of my Mag-Hytec Plug:

Kind of pretty in an interesting way.

Lots of black sludge, the oil looks fresh on the stick and in the pan, except for all the gobs of black sludge, which I think is clutch pack material. In addition, I do have a few bits of metal about the size of the head of a pin in the drain pan as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that I have a toasted 2nd gear clutch pack and probably some significant wear on the others, in addition to bits of torque converter represented by the pin sized bits of metal.

To me this all spells Rebuild.

From reading, my best option will be to reuse this 4R100 and have it rebuilt by Brian at BTS.

Any other thoughts on this information? I would love to hear them all.

Thanks -
Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

PurSid:

That's exactly what my plug/pan looked like. I called a local shop and they said a rebuild with a new torque converter installed would be apx $2,200-$2,300. I don't really have the time or the money for a BTS tranny, however, if you talk to Brian I would still be interested to hear what he says before I commit to a full rebuild. I think our problem stems from the single disk torque converts ford put in the 99-00 model 4R100s. I hear it is common for them to go out prematurely because the fins come apart, hence the little brass/copper looking pieces in the pan. Sometimes this results in an audible rattle at idle or a shudder on a hard takeoff.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor, sir

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 08-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

I called a few shops around and got some pretty good idea of which direction I need to go.

Ford quoted $2200 with no warranty because of the modified nature of my truck.
A couple other places in town, were about the same price, no warranty.

One place that the racers go to around here put me up to $4500 with a 3yr/50k warranty for a race built unit, very similar to SunCoast and others.

I also called Brian at BTS but he was out, I will probably call and talk to him directly tomorrow. I still got some pricing but after the costs of shipping and install I am over 5k.

I would really like to work with someone local and i think the shop I have found here can do the job for me, there quote was for the same transmission that they build for 9sec trucks. Should be plenty for me.

If money was no option and I had the tools to do the R/R myself I would spring for the BTS, but I think I am going to stay local on this one.

Of-course with all that said, I won't know anything for sure until they pull the pan and get in to it a little.

I plan to get the truck down to the shop tonight and have them give me a firm quote tomorrow.

The one thing I am learning, tell the shops what you are doing with it and how the truck is built and let them tell you if they will warranty it. I feel that almost any shop that will see my need and put a warranty on it must be doing it right.

I will update as I learn more.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I actually talked to a guy at BTS earlier this afternoon. I told him the situation and he confirmed my fears. He said that second gear was pretty much burnt up, and the black stuff was indeed the friction material off of the clutch pack. Its slipping so bad in 2nd its defaulting back into 1st, so its not a solenoid or valve shifting problem. He also said it's not like you can close your eyes and throw a new clutch pack in and have everything back in working order since I have close to 190,000 on mine, so that pretty much constitutes a full rebuild.

Now the fun really starts... getting the money to have it rebuilt before I go to college (three hour drive) in two weeks

*sigh*
Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Yep same here DVS7.3, second is toast, default to first.

Truck is in the shop now getting a stage 3, if you will, transmission built and installed.

I might get the truck back as early as tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took mine in today as well for an overhaul. It'll be around $2500 including a billet converter with upgraded valves and such. Stage 3 is probably a wise decision due to your lift and big wheels/tires. Hope all goes well PurSid, let me know how you make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2nd gear, 4r100, help tranny prob, tranny problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.