I think i blew my buddy's transmission....HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think i blew my buddy's transmission....HELP

OK, the background.

2000 Ford F-250 with 7.3 Diesel, long box, 4 door, automatic trans, stock everything except a Diablo Sport set to tow mode

So I just bought a new camper (30ft travel trailer, 7000lb dry but was probably around 8000lb that day loaded) that my buddy was delivering to my land for me.

I have a hill that's probably 10' of rise over 20' run...i would guess 30-35degree angle. A person can walk the hill without much effort and i can drive my Chevy Tahoe and Chevy Sonic up it without any issues.

The only option was to back the camper straight up the hill. So he was in 4 low, OD off. So he backed it up and the trailer tires were just about to break the crest of the hill when he had to stop so i could trim a branch that was about to hit the AC on the camper. So after i did that, he backed it up another 15' so now the camper was on the top of hill but the hitch was right at the crest of the hill. This is where his tires started to slip a bit. When he went to give it the 3rd push back that's when there was smoke.

No fluid was dripping out at any point and the only gear he has is park.

Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Did you check to make sure that the Transfer case didnt slip out of gear? I have had that happen once.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, i'm not mr.mechanic by any means and the knowledge i do have it related to Jeeps. So how would i check the t-case? Or are you saying to just try the other buttons?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you check the transmission fluid level?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
Sorry, i'm not mr.mechanic by any means and the knowledge i do have it related to Jeeps. So how would i check the t-case? Or are you saying to just try the other buttons?
Is it a manual transfer case with the shifter in the floor or is it buttons? If it has the buttons on the dash I dont know how to check it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Winning DUHHH

If there was smoke, I doubt it was the t-case, unless he has an exhaust leak. And if he only has park...makes me think a smoked pump

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

missed the part where he said there was smoke. I have to agree with Tony there.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 AM

On the 2000 F250 transfer-cases, if there was just smoke, it was not the t-case since you would have heard a lot of grinding and not just smoke! lol

The best thing you can do as of right now is help us diagnose it for you.

Take the dipstick out and check the fluid level with it running in park. IF that is good, smell the fluid, if it smells burnt, then that is a clear indicator you burnt up something within the transmission.

Next, drain the transmission into a 5 gallon bucket, after that is done, pull the pan and look in it to see if there are any clutch fibers, if there are clutch fibers, you burnt up one of your drums, more then likely the first reverse gear drum which I also believe is first gear as well.

IF YOU SEE METAL SHAVINGS, you burnt your pump more then likely or snapped something else internally. I can pretty much tell you that if the fluid is burnt with no gears, it will need a rebuild. Rebuilds for the 4r100's can run anywhere from $2,500 to $3,300 depending on what is broke inside.

Hope this helped.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 AM

And you didn't burn up His tranny

it was on it's way out

it should have been able to pull that hauler no problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.