1992 f250 Overdrive light/ shifting hard - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1992 f250 Overdrive light/ shifting hard

1992 ford f250 IDI. Today my Overdrive "off" light starting blinkng and my trans has been shifting very hard for the first two gears. I have checked all of the fuses and every thing else seems to be running fine.
I really appreciate all the help.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like to me that your tranny is going out. I had a 95 and it did the same thing. the light started flashing and it was shifting hard, and sometimes it would have like a delayed shift. The motor would get to about 2600-3000 rpm and the tranny wouldn't shift up, and then BAM. it would slam in to the next gear.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
The OD Light will flash if you set a code for the transmission. The computer will increase the line pressure when this happens and will cause the hard shifts. I would read the codes and see what they say first.

Jim
Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 AM

unplugged FIPL Sensor

I uplugged the FIPL Sensor near the front of the injector pump, and wiped it off and plugged it back in and messed with the wires coming out of it. When I started it up the light seems to have stoped blinking and shifting normal, but the tachometer was vibrating a little around 500 and took a few seconds to steady itself around 750.
Do you think I may need to replace the sensor, or take it to get scanned or just hope for the best that it doesn't happen again or get any worse.
Thanks again
Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
I would not change any sensors unless the scan indicated it to be the problem. When you shut the engine off it will reset the soft codes in the computer. The code will still show up with a code scanner until the codes are cleared. I would bet you had some slippage in the transmisson and it set a code, then the computer went into limp mode (higher line pressure which caused the hard shifts), but you will not know until you check the codes. If it is starting to slip you may be headed for a rebuild. I would also check you fluid and be sure it is at the right level.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.