Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4r100 install

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  dr8082 
#1 ·
Picked up my rebuilt tranny today, new torque converter, deep pan, and 24 qts of tranny oil.

Anyone have any good write ups or vids on tranny install. I have done this before but it has been many years and I would like to sharpen my mind.

#2 ·
not to derail your original question but i am trying to install a a 5r110 as well have gotten in mated to the engine twice now and both times i am unable to turn the flywheel to put the nuts on the TC. From what i have i heard and seen on the forums it to make sure the TC is fully seated to the trans how can i know that and how many "clicks" should you hear when sliding it on the input shaft.

#3 ·
I asked the same question to someone else Dieselman I think, he said if the tc is seated all the way when the trans bell housing and engine mate up the tc studs should be in the holes and when you tighten the nuts they should pull the tc about a 1/4 inch back to the flywheel. Thats on the 4r100. It is not easy to turn the flywheel to get the bolts to the bottom you are turning the engine.

#4 ·
yeah the TC is getting pulled forward like it should and i only know this bc ( i got smarts and lined the first hole up on the bottom)

i am trying but it feel like it is locked up last night we took the fan off to try to get more leverage but even with a 3 foot pry bar on he front of the crank still nothing.

#6 ·
Well update....trans in and all is well. Couple issues surrfaced i guess from sitting for 6 months, tires act like they have flat spots in them but I think that will work its way out. There is a strange clicking sound coming from the front drivers tire....i think its the locking hub...service that in the am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.