MORE Tranny issues... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
MORE Tranny issues...

OK, so a few of you know that my "new" tranny that AAMCO installed a few months ago is starting to have some issues. It grinds going into 2nd gear, is hard to get into 1st sometimes, Reverse is the same, and occasionally, when cruising in 2nd, like in parking lots, it will pop out of gear and grind. I have to hold the stick in 2nd.

So this afternoon I took the truck by AAMCO and the guy looked at it, w/out driving, and said simply, "looks like it might be the clutch." Originally, they were addiment about changing the clutch when they put the new tranny in and I refused b/c it was only a month and a half old at the time...and had NOTHING to do with the trans going out other than me being dumb.

Question is (for you techs) would the clutch causing problems cause the tranny issues described above?

Also, I just got a call from the AAMCO manager and he is threatening to void the warranty on the tranny b/c I am unable to leave it right now. Some people have jobs and only one car...and Ditty has to get to/from work and appointments. Aparently, my life and work is unimportant to these guys. He said, that if my truck isn't at the shop no later than Monday afternoon, he is voiding my warranty b/c "whatever the issue is, it is causing MORE problems with the tranny."

Anyone??? Thanks.

Last edited by Ditty; 12-07-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Oh dayum Ditty!! I didn't realize that it is acting up that bad!! Sheesh! Good luck with it.....and about the warranty, that's pretty bogus, just don't know what to tell ya though.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Cynic

Sounds like a shift fork, bearing, or internal. Any shuddering?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM

It's not "bad"...but it IS annoying and I do think it is getting worse. (It was doing this before we went to the track on Oct 12th.)

Really, I shouldn't have gone in until I was 100% sure that I had transportation for at least a week. I'm just concerned that they are going to swap out the tranny with a new one and tell me that I have to buy a new clutch...telling me that there was NOTHING wrong with the trans and that the clutch was the problem...when in all reality is probably isn't. It's not slipping, engaugment is as it was when I first put it in 4-ish months ago etc. I think it was something THEY did, and you know they aren't going to fess up to them screwing up. You know they aren't going to let me out of the shop w/out having to pay for something!!!

No real shuttering...no bucking (save for 1st when I'm not giving it enough throttle...no slipping...just the "hard to shift" and the 2nd gear popping out.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Jeez Ditty its just never ending with you man....sorry man.....but sounds like BS to me and I think
Old 12-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Same here Julian. You should have been here when I was on the phone with the Manager. He was like, "I'm voiding your warranty." and I was like, "FINE!!! You'll be talking to my lawyer on Monday!!!". He got a little defensive after I said that. I know that they need to have the truck ASAP to figure it out, but I DO have a life, and I have stuff I have to do. I'm getting out of the Navy in 2 weeks and I have crap I have to do for that. I NEED my truck.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
I understand that.....and I'm no tranny expert, but if there was something wrong with the clutch or if it was the clutch that was cause it to pop out of gear, wouldn't it be doing it to all the gears?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that sucks man. I hope every thing works out for ya. dont let them pull no horse chit about it being your clutch. posibly the slave cylinder would cause the clutch to not fully disengage causing grinding between gears. but if its not slipping there is nothing wrong with your clutch. regardless even if the slave cylinder where bad it would not have any thing to do with the truck popping out of gear. some thing is screwed up internaly.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Would the clutch not disengauging 100% cause this? They used a Stock Ford Throwout bearing when they put it all back together with my SouthBend CONFE Clutch. They refused to reuse the SouthBend TOB b/c it was "worn". Of course it was "worn"...it was a month and a 1/2 old. It had some miles on it. (And about 16 passes at the track!!! LOL) I really think they are trying to blow smoke up my rear with this clutch stuff. I really don't see how the clutch would cause the trans to do all of this. It sounds more like the tranny they put into the truck wasn't "new" like they said. I think they got a used trans that had #2 syncros going out in it as well as 1st and R. I feel like I'm getting the shaft on this one. I am NOT going to spend ANOTHER $5000 on this....unless it's going to a lawyer!!! Jessie's Dad knows a LOT of lawyers!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Man Ditty that sucks. Everything except the tranny popping out of 2nd seems like it could be clutch related, but could also be slave/master cylinder. The popping out of 2nd gear should not be clutch related. Even if it grinds or what not once locked in it should stay. that could be shift fork related or a bad synchro. don't know. That is a bunch of BS though saying that they are going to void the warranty. I would tell them that if it is that important then they need to have a rental car waiting for you when you drop it off, cause apparently something they did is not right!

As for the clutch didn't you put in a southbend shortly before this happening? (yup just sw your last post!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.