Trans slip Code -- What to do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans slip Code -- What to do?

My 1996 F250 7.3L TD E4OD 4x4 is setting Code P1728.

I can clear the code and it will shift normally until it gets to the point where it should lock-up the converter then sets the code. I had to drive 300+ miles to get it home and it made it ok but I'm at a loss on this. The code says Trans Slipping but it shifts so normally after clearing the code. A couple days ago it set a KAM and P1728. And about a month ago it set a Turbo boost code & P1728 ( I can't find the number I wrote down for that turbo code) when it did that I pulled the pan and changed the oil & filter and drained the TC too and all was well until now. There was no steel or brass or aluminum particles in the pan or on the magnet and the trans oil didn't smell burnt nor did it look bad. It really was very clean inside.

Is there a solenoid or relay or something that could be a problem? Does this sound like a path that some of you have experienced before? The truck has 223K miles on it and is maintained religiously with the normal oil and trans services done more often than necessary and the trans fluid always comes out looking great and no burnt smell or anything metallic in the pan or on the magnet.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs more info describing this just let me know.. thanks a lot in advance.

behoof

Last edited by behoof; 11-19-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump for some help
Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump???

Quote:
Originally Posted by willypscustoms View Post
bump for some help
Not sure what you mean by "Bump for some Help"?

I'm really stuck with this truck acting up so I sure hope someone with experience with this problem can help.

This is my only transportation and need it pretty bad.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by behoof View Post
My 1996 F250 7.3L TD E4OD 4x4 is setting Code P1728.

I can clear the code and it will shift normally until it gets to the point where it should lock-up the converter then sets the code. I had to drive 300+ miles to get it home and it made it ok but I'm at a loss on this. The code says Trans Slipping but it shifts so normally after clearing the code. A couple days ago it set a KAM and P1728. And about a month ago it set a Turbo boost code & P1728 ( I can't find the number I wrote down for that turbo code) when it did that I pulled the pan and changed the oil & filter and drained the TC too and all was well until now. There was no steel or brass or aluminum particles in the pan or on the magnet and the trans oil didn't smell burnt nor did it look bad. It really was very clean inside.

Is there a solenoid or relay or something that could be a problem? Does this sound like a path that some of you have experienced before? The truck has 223K miles on it and is maintained religiously with the normal oil and trans services done more often than necessary and the trans fluid always comes out looking great and no burnt smell or anything metallic in the pan or on the magnet.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs more info describing this just let me know.. thanks a lot in advance.

behoof
I've done a ton of reading and searching and it seems probable that I'm going to have to replace the TC and/or front pump and maybe disassemble due to possible cloudy fluid / contamination? I got this article while searching the web and it really describes my condition in the first part of the Service Procedure.

03-21-12***STALL - WHEN REVERSE AND/OR MANUAL LOW ARE SELECTED - (DTC) P1728 - OVERDRIVE CANCEL LAMP ILLUMINATED - 7.3L DIT ENGINE - VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 9/20/95***TRANSMISSION - E40D - 7.3L DIT ENGINE - OVERDRIVE

Have any of you dealt with this issue? If so, what did you find? Am I on the right track or is there something I'm missing ?

Also, where would be a good place to get a TC and pump and shaft? I'm in SE Lower Michigan, the Port Huron Area.

Would really appreciate any help or info, thanks in advance,
Skip aka behoof
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
P1728 Description:
Transmission Slip Error -- Converter Clutch Failed
Key On Engine Off:
Refer to the Powertrain/Transmission Group in the Service Manual for diagnostic procedures.
Key On Engine Running:
Refer to the Powertrain/Transmission Group in the Service Manual for diagnostic procedures.
Continuous Memory:

this is all i've found from my book on disk so far and i will keep looking but it sounds like it could be a bad sensor. i also will be with a very smart mechanic in the next couple days and will hit him up too.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever figure out what the transmission problem was? I am getting the same error message P1728 on my 1995. Got any advice?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

What can happen is some metal can get into the electricly controlled valves in the transmission. Best thing to do is change the fluid and filter, perhaps add an inline transmission fluid filter. See if that fixes things. If it still has a problem, something is stuck in the shift valves. Also the torque converter may be falling apart. I just went through this and did the big built transmission with aux cooler and all the aftermarket fixes.

Last edited by Diesel Monkey; 03-28-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.