Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No forward gears

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  DKR 
#1 ·
Hi all, hopefully someone has an answer for my problem.

I parked my truck on Saturday, let it idle for 20 or so minutes jumped back in and it wouldn't go forward. I put it in D and revved it a few times and it would start to creep at about 10MPH but slip when it wanted to shift. I can put it in low, turn off the OD and it will creep until higher RPM's where it will slip.

Reverse is fine.

It never had a hiccup before this. No noise, no OD light flashing, fluid is fine and bright red. No burn smell.

Any ideas?

2000 F350 Auto (have to check which) DW

#4 ·
Don't quote me on this, but the tranny can go out w/o "burning" up. I.e. no smell, normal color coolant.

The fact that is is barely engaging is a sign of probably major failure.

I think you probably have the EO40D (I think that's the number), whih was one of the few weak links on the 7.3s.

BUT...Like I said, I am not a tech...just relaying what I have heard and learned a little bit from this site.

So, at the minimum, I can give you a :bump: till one of our techs see this.

#5 ·
its probably the 4r100 pretty much the same thing as the 4e0d. This things are netorious for just breaking out of no where, they work one second, dead the next.

#7 ·
cchase, you're right. It went to the mechanic yesterday morning. It is a 4r100 and it did just stop working. I asked if it was a stuck valve body (like I knew something ...lol) and he said, "Yes, it's probably stuck open by pieces of your torque converter."
I haven't gotten a price yet but, I'm sure it's steep.

Anyway, it's going to be rebuilt with an upgraded TC and I'll add a cooler to it...and gauges...and anything else I've been putting off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.