Going into neutral while driving? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Going into neutral while driving?

I need a little help. I let my father-in-law borrow my truck (2000 F350, 4x4 Auto)to get a load of gravel today. When he got back he said the transmission felt like it went into neutral while driving. I have a PHP 6-position chip on the truck and put it in the towing position before he left. He said he was driving with the OD turned off and while cruising at about 55 mph the truck stopped pulling, he said he gave it a little gas and the rpms just went up like it was in neutral? He then coasted to the side of the road and put the truck in park to see if it was loosing any fluid and there was none. I asked if the tranny got hot and he said he never saw it over 180*. He hopped back in and put it back in drive and it acted normal. He drove another 7 or 8 miles, he still had the OD turned off with the cruise control set at about 55 or 60 while drive up a incline the cruise kicked off? He said he thought it was doing it again, but when he got back in the throttle it acted normal.

I have had this truck for about 3 years. I have never had any issues with the tranny. The truck has about 178K on it. This is however the first time the tow tune for the chip has ever been used. It has only been on the truck for about 4 months and this has been the first time the truck has been used to haul something since the install. I asked him if he noticed if the OD light was flashing and he said he did not see it if it was? Could this be a tune problem or is something failing in the transmission? The truck had about 3000 lbs of gravel in the bed and the only mods are induction, exhaust, gauges, and PHP 6-position chip. Thanks for any help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would lean more towards a transmission problem. How does the fluid look, does it smell burnt? Do you have any play in the MPLS where it could possibly move to N or indicate something other than the position you select? You also need to get the codes pulled.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 PM

The fluid seems fine. The guy that had the truck before me had to steering column replaced before I bought it. I mention this because the gear selector is kind of loose when shifting through the gears. You also do not have to press the break to shift out of park. I guess it is possible the selector was not all the way in? How do I go about finding a place to pull the tranny codes? Where are the codes stored, is it through the truck computer? BTW what does MPLS stand for? Thanks for the repsonse, keep them coming guys!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Multi Position Lever Sensor. It's a black box on the driver side of the transmission that links to the column shifter.

The codes are pulled from the computer, you will need to find a mechanic that can read ford codes. Don't bother with the parts stores they won't be able to read all the codes. Alternatively you could invest in a Autoenginuity or similar scanner to pull codes, it's a great tool to help troubleshoot.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 AM

Do you know if AutoTap can pull them?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM

Just wanted to update this, it has been almost 8 months since I had this issue. I am glad to report it has not happened again. On JSchuricgt's advice I checked out the multi position lever sensor. The housing was covered in tranny fluid from a small leak and the plug seemed loose. I cleaned the housing and plug. No issues since. Just wanted to thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.